linÃ‚Â·eÃ‚Â·ar /ˈlɪniər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lin-ee-er] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
Ã¢â‚¬â€œadjective 1. of, consisting of, or using lines: linear design.
**2. pertaining to or represented by lines: linear dimensions. **
3. extended or arranged in a line: a linear series.
4. involving measurement in one dimension only; pertaining to length: linear measure.
5. of or pertaining to the characteristics of a work of art in which forms and rhythms are defined chiefly in terms of line.
6. having the form of or resembling a line: linear nebulae.
7. Mathematics. a. consisting of, involving, or describable by terms of the first degree.
b. having the same effect on a sum as on each of the summands: a linear operation.
- Electronics. delivering an output that is directly proportional to the input: a linear circuit; a linear amplifier.
- threadlike; narrow and elongated: a linear leaf.
[Origin: 1635Ã¢â‚¬â€œ45; < L līneāris of, belonging to lines. See line1, -ar1]