» Working Hail Storms

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing Business Talk Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Post subject: Working Hail Storms
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:46 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
I have been a Roofing Contractor in my area for the past decade. I want to expand my business and start working hail storms. Any suggestions on how to approach this? Also one of the big questions is how to deal (work) with insurance companies. I have heard others in the past say things such as we "work with the insurance company for you", what exactly does that mean? Also is it standard practice to get contracts signed before the HO even has the claim settled? I have lots of other questions that I will be posting in the near future. Any help in this manner will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

If you can put a ladder to it, we'll put a roof on it!

Post subject: Re: Working Hail Storms
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:50 pm 

Post liked: 124 times
Liked posts: 64 times
if you want to learn how to work a storm, then go work for an experienced stormer for a few months this season, just selling roofs. you will make a ton of money in sales, and learn all the lingo, and in-and-outs of storming.

i would absolutely NOT just jump right into a storm, spend a bunch of money to get set up, and not have a clue what you are really doing.

be cautious, take things slow, and watch/learn from the pros.

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:13 pm 

Jason thanks,

Do you know of any companies that usually look for sale people?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:24 pm 

every single storm chasing company is always hiring sales reps 100% of the time. lol

and because they usually change their "working name" with every city they go to, i dont know of any.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:20 am 

Post liked: 334 times
Liked posts: 366 times
Not trying to put you on the spot,,,,,but how have you been able to be a contractor for 10 years and not know insurance procedures?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:36 am 

Good question. Generally speaking a majority of our work has been for HO or investors etc. that have roofs on their structures that have simply out lived their lives. Thats not to say that we haven't done insurance work in the past. Never on a large scale though, and that is where my questioning was coming from.

Hopefully that answers it for you, and I don't mind being put on the spot.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:00 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 13 times
If your going to train in with a storm chasing outfit do some homework and find a good one. Have heard horror stories from both mexicans, adjusters, and salesman about some of the storm chasers out there.

Look on BBB, Angies List, do google searches, and finaly make sure they are licensed.

After a big hail storm there's a good chance an outfit will call you trying to team up that is as long as your a good standing licensed company. This may be another option for you to get into storming. From what I understand they bring in salesman/estimators, crews, and the staff to go pound on doors to secure jobs. They typicaly give you a kick back in most cases it's a flat rate or a percentage of the job.

I had roofed for 10 years before learning about insurance work. In the past did insurance jobs but just gave them my bid which always meant the home owner was putting cash in their pocket. Only once did I bid higher than the insurance company, and they paid it! Back in 06 subbed from a large local storm repair company and learned enough to do it on my own after one Summer.

Another option is to hire a well trained highly skilled salesman. Most know the ins and outs of the insurance world in regards to hail and wind damage. Most however work for well oiled storm chasing machines and make $100-200K a year. Have had a few offer to sell for me but at the time was booked solid with 2-3 crews and didn't want to take on more liability. Looking back should have done it and just hire more good crews. The trick after a hail or big wind storm is to get as many jobs as possible (that you can do in one roofing season) because a year or two later they will all be done.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:42 am 

Hi,
My name is David Melichar with On Target Marketing (303) 517-0722. On Target works with roofers around the country mailing postcard into hail impacted areas. On Target provides everything associated with hail damage direct mail campaigns. Pricing runs anywhere from ($.10 to $.34 +postage) pricing is dependent on volume printed and mailed at one time. The great benefit of using a service like On Target is we can turn a 20,000 piece or less job around in as little as 2 to 4 business days. Broadcasting your company name and number to only hail impacted areas. We can make your phone ring! If you'd like additional information please contact me. David

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:35 pm 

Liked posts: 2 times
What RoofMaster neglects to say is that the Contractors working hail storms are usually fly by night storm chasers of questionable integrity or smaller residential roofing contractors.

The larger the roofing contractor, rest assured they're not storm chasing and usually deal with the insurance company in support of their clients.

Some of these infamous "storm chasers" should have advised you that the Texas Dept. of Insurance has changed several procedures, regarding in-house adjusters for roofing contractors, etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:24 am 

Liked posts: 1 time
DallasRoofCo wrote:
What RoofMaster neglects to say is that the Contractors working hail storms are usually fly by night storm chasers of questionable integrity or smaller residential roofing contractors.

Pretty broad brush there, guy. There are quite a few large companies in the "storm chasing" business and not all are "of questionable integrity". Some? Certainly. Usually? Only if you're competing against them, right?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:59 pm 

Liked posts: 2 times
ruufguy wrote:
DallasRoofCo wrote:

Pretty broad brush there, guy. There are quite a few large companies in the "storm chasing" business and not all are "of questionable integrity". Some? Certainly. Usually? Only if you're competing against them, right?

Ruufguy,

Storm chasers and residential roofers for the most part are the ones that have given this business a black eye. Is it all enclusive? Of course not, but rest assured very few commercial roofing contractors have taken a check and disappeared.

Considering we do $20M a year in sales, competing against a storm chaser is the least of our worries. In fact, it would provide a comical situation when sitting down with the Building rep and comparing credentials, etc. Qualifying is a large part of sales and I wouldn't send an estimator out to bid a Mom and Pop Convenience Store, Sahara Motel, etc., which would be the type of Owner who would even consider a low ball storm chaser.

Competition? Hardly.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:28 pm 

Liked posts: 7 times
dallas

what did they change about in house adjusters ?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:55 pm 

Post liked: 280 times
Liked posts: 579 times
DallasRoofCo wrote:
ruufguy wrote:
DallasRoofCo wrote:
Storm chasers and residential roofers for the most part are the ones that have given this business a black eye. Is it all enclusive? Of course not, but rest assured very few commercial roofing contractors have taken a check and disappeared.

Considering we do $20M a year in sales, competing against a storm chaser is the least of our worries.

Are you for real? You're just all that yet you spell inclusive wrong? I thought storm chasers and residential roofers would be the only ones that couldn't spell.

$20M a year for commercial would be fairly small. That's quite small compared to some of the bigger storm chasers.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:28 pm 

Liked posts: 1 time
Working hail storms can make very good money. Every adjuster is different and will see things differently. What you may see as wear and tear, they may see as hail. Try it out for a summer and just sit back and watch what the adjusters point out then work that to your advantage.

Last edited by Pancho on Sun May 22, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:39 pm 

I chase storms...

in my own back yard! Lookie what I got coming today!

oh, and dad is right... 20M a year is peanuts for a commercial ONLY roofing company.

Profile Personal album