» what size roofing nail

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions
Author Message
  Post subject: what size roofing nail
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:21 am
Posts: 2
Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
Existing roof is a 3 tab shingle with 1/2" plywood.
The nails used are 1/2"-3/4". Most of the nails do not come through the plywood. The roof/structure is completely open and can be seen from underneath. It is outside in a yard. Seems 1 1/4" nails are recommended. Roofs been on quite awhile and the nails held ok. Will the 1 1/4" nails rust since they will be below the plywood? Or should the shorter nails be used again? Thanks for any help.


Top
 Profile  
 
  Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:36 am
Posts: 2002
Images: 8
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Post liked: 124 times
Liked posts: 64 times
the nails should penetrate the wood

_________________
-Jason

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
  Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:52 am
Posts: 147
Post liked: 8 times
Liked posts: 14 times
they won't rust you'll just see them popping thru everywhere. The short nails will work if you are worried about appearence, we have to use them quite often on exposed overhangs and the HO doesn't want to see all the penetrations with no problems


Top
 Profile  
 
  Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:23 pm
Posts: 1655
Location: Illinois IL
Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 1 time
The specification for this states that on plywood or OSB roof decks, the nail shall penetrate past the point with the shank exposed. On lumber type decking, then a minimum of 3/4" penetration and a irregular nail shank.

This 3/4" spec is most used 'round here for exposed decorative tongue and groove decking.

_________________
http://www.roseroofing.net/
GREEN ROOFING SPECIALISTS
Metal roof waterproofing Commercial and Industrial Polyurea membranes, Insulated Roofing systems. Insulation.
Residential roof repair. Illinois IL


Top
 Profile  
 
  Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:46 am
Posts: 1222
Location: Richmond, VA
Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
1/2" is too small. Don't know that I've ever seen a half inch roofing nail. Use the 3/4" and just 6 nail the shingles.


Top
 Profile  
 
  Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:52 am
Posts: 147
Post liked: 8 times
Liked posts: 14 times
shangle nailer wrote:
1/2" is too small. Don't know that I've ever seen a half inch roofing nail. Use the 3/4" and just 6 nail the shingles.


yeah, I just assumed he was guessing and it actually was a 3/4 or 7/8 nail. We normally use the 7/8 for that type of situation, can't remember ever seeing 1/2" though they do all look short as hell


Top
 Profile  
 
  Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:30 pm
Posts: 2667
Images: 11
Location: BC
Post liked: 117 times
Liked posts: 77 times
Were the same in this situation 7/8 nail

_________________
WHATS A HOUSE WITHOUT A ROOF!?!
Steeper The Better!!Image


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
  Post subject: Re: what size roofing nail
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:39 pm
Posts: 459
Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 1 time
59auto wrote:
Existing roof is a 3 tab shingle with 1/2" plywood.
The nails used are 1/2"-3/4". Most of the nails do not come through the plywood. The roof/structure is completely open and can be seen from underneath. It is outside in a yard. Seems 1 1/4" nails are recommended. Roofs been on quite awhile and the nails held ok. Will the 1 1/4" nails rust since they will be below the plywood? Or should the shorter nails be used again? Thanks for any help.


1 3/4" without a doubt under normal circumstances.
Even with new work I use 1 3/4".

Only time I'd use anything less would be for exposed ceiling decking where the the nails couldn't protrude past the bottom of the deck.

Try pounding 1 nail through the roof of each size and see which one doesn't go through in an area that is inconspicuous. That's the easiest way to find out your particular needs.


Top
 Profile  
 
  Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:21 pm
Posts: 975
Location: Wisconsin
Post liked: 50 times
Liked posts: 62 times
Just looked at a 60 square roof. Dimensional shingles installed with 7/8" coil roofing nails. I was called to fix five leaks (not our installation) and I found nails backing out from the plywood was the cause. I didn't count them but there had to have been at least 100 nails. Roof is about 14 years old and they didn't want to replace it just yet. I gave them a price for a new one and advised them to keep the buckets handy.

So I would recommend they penetrate the plywood. How big is the roof? We added sheathing on a gazebo to allow proper length nails without penetrating the exposed tongue and grove. With exposed plywood some type of soffit system would hide the nails and look better than the plywood.

_________________
visit our site


Top
 Profile  
 
  Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:44 am
Posts: 2
Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
I have always used 1 1/4 except when im installing cap over a ridge vent I switch to 1 1/2 nails. the owens corning ridge vent is pretty thick compared to a few others we have installed so thats why I switched to 1 1/2


Top
 Profile  
 
  Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:23 pm
Posts: 1655
Location: Illinois IL
Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 1 time
selfemployedslave wrote:
Just looked at a 60 square roof. Dimensional shingles installed with 7/8" coil roofing nails. I was called to fix five leaks (not our installation) and I found nails backing out from the plywood was the cause. I didn't count them but there had to have been at least 100 nails. Roof is about 14 years old and they didn't want to replace it just yet. I gave them a price for a new one and advised them to keep the buckets handy.

So I would recommend they penetrate the plywood. How big is the roof? We added sheathing on a gazebo to allow proper length nails without penetrating the exposed tongue and grove. With exposed plywood some type of soffit system would hide the nails and look better than the plywood.


Yup... gotta go through plywood... lumber decks are different as far as grippage.

_________________
http://www.roseroofing.net/
GREEN ROOFING SPECIALISTS
Metal roof waterproofing Commercial and Industrial Polyurea membranes, Insulated Roofing systems. Insulation.
Residential roof repair. Illinois IL


Top
 Profile  
 
  Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:21 am
Posts: 2
Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
Thanks to all who responded. Probably will go with the 1 1/4"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  


Disclaimer

The information and advice provided by the community are for informational purposes only. The site owner and users assume no liability for any errors or misunderstanding in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. Before making any decisions or taking any action, it is recommended that you consult with a local roofing professional or building official. Roofing can be hazardous. Make sure you protect yourself by using all the appropriate safety procedures.

cron