» What shingle do you contractors like for a gambrel roof?

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Post subject: What shingle do you contractors like for a gambrel roof?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:18 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
Want to upgrade shingles, what options are there for me? Roof has steep pitched mansard section. Trying to figure out what works/looks good where the mansard meets the gable roof. Any advice is appreciated.

Pic of house
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52529566@N ... hotostream

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: What shingle do you contractors like for a gambrel roof?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:28 am 

Post liked: 117 times
Liked posts: 77 times
Certainteed Highland Slate or Grand Manor myself on a mansard, but its really a personal pick..

A user likes this :
-Axiom- (Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:39 pm)
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:42 pm 

Post liked: 309 times
Liked posts: 269 times
A Grand Manor would look very nice on that house, unfortunately it's one of the most expensive shingles.

I think GAF has a less expensive version.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:32 pm 

Post liked: 334 times
Liked posts: 366 times
Grand Manors with a couple courses of Carriage House for accents.New siding on the dormers,,Copper toppers for the dormers,Copper counter flashing and step flashing on the garage, copper aprons on the dormers,,copper valleys on the front dormer.Copper gutters,,

Level the trusses on the garage and your home will be the talk of the neighborhood.

A green or red door with some brass hardware and kick plate would be nice too.Maybe a cobble stone walkway and some Anderson or Pella windows.. :D

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:20 am 

Post liked: 39 times
Liked posts: 22 times
Look from pics and cost from owner says to paint and touch up detail to dormers and siding and if you have a roof issue, go for a repair from a highly reputable company as it looks fine from pics.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:41 pm 

Post liked: 117 times
Liked posts: 77 times
rickengie wrote:
Look from pics and cost from owner says to paint and touch up detail to dormers and siding and if you have a roof issue, go for a repair from a highly reputable company as it looks fine from pics.

maybe you should re-read the question...

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:55 pm 

Post liked: 39 times
Liked posts: 22 times
kage wrote:
rickengie wrote:

maybe you should re-read the question...

Maybe you can read my answer, again! I never recommended a brand and also said the style there looks fine. I answered the question with less words than most as I also covered what most looking at roof materials are really looking for.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:55 am 

Post liked: 13 times
Liked posts: 15 times
Atlas storm master slate,economical, great looking shingle,fish scale design,one piece shingle!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:14 pm 

I've worked with GAF Grand Canyon shingles in the past and they seem do to the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:01 am 

Post liked: 94 times
Liked posts: 109 times
I'm going to guess whatever your budget allows. Could be Presidentials, could be grand canyons, might even be XT25.
What about Decra, they're nice?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:21 am 

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry I was away, my kid plays college ball and it was a 2 game weekend.

So it sounds like I am on the right track, I like a lot of the shingles mentioned, plus the Hatteras and Slateline. I was wondering if those luxury shingles would be too think for the mansard to gable transition, but it sounds like they aren't. I don't mind the extra charge, I don't plan on doing this again for awhile. It will break my bank, but looks are more important at the moment. This roof was put on in '73, and looks like it too. But I don't see how the Grand Manor works with the uneven edges on them. How's that look on the gable to mansard transition? The roof is so visible, I really want it to pop.

I began ripping the rotted wood off the dormers today, it's fried, hidden by the layers of paint. Going back with a cedar shake or thereabouts. I found I have a metal roof on the dormers, wasn't expecting that. It's rusty, so not copper.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:30 am 

Roofmaster417 wrote:
Grand Manors with a couple courses of Carriage House for accents.New siding on the dormers,,Copper toppers for the dormers,Copper counter flashing and step flashing on the garage, copper aprons on the dormers,,copper valleys on the front dormer.Copper gutters,,

Level the trusses on the garage and your home will be the talk of the neighborhood.

A green or red door with some brass hardware and kick plate would be nice too.Maybe a cobble stone walkway and some Anderson or Pella windows.. :D

We think alike, on the copper anyway. I wanted copper counter flashing, but can't swing that AND the luxury shingles too. This is a middle class area too, might be a bit much. I wanted copper that would patina, but there's was coated too. The door is stripped and will be stained for now, to match the garage. Garage had 13 distinct layers of paint I stripped off.

As far as leveling the boards, that is the 1 by boards inside garage, and this is what I did there. Still need to trim it out, it's uneven the way they centered the garage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52529566@N ... hotostream

My goal is to rebuild this house as it was in 1945. I even found the guy who help lay the brick, he was an apprentice and 19 at the time. I was going to paint the brick, can't do it after meeting him. The windows will be rebuilt, dismantled and rebuilt as they originally were. It takes me about a month to do one. Half round gutters to go back on, though not in copper. Shutters in house being stripped, tons of other projects too.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:34 pm 

Post liked: 16 times
Liked posts: 178 times
Look up GAF Camelot II shingles. They are almost an exact match of the Certainteed Grand Manor at a fraction of the price. These higher end shingles you are looking at are too thick to make the roof transition. You will probably need a custom edge metal at the transition point if you go that way. Spec is 6 nails + hand sealing on a mansard btw.
http://www.gaf.com/roofing/residential/ ... ngles.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:57 pm 

Robert F wrote:
Atlas storm master slate,economical, great looking shingle,fish scale design,one piece shingle!

That would look nice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:26 am 

Tar Monkey wrote:
Look up GAF Camelot II shingles. They are almost an exact match of the Certainteed Grand Manor at a fraction of the price. These higher end shingles you are looking at are too thick to make the roof transition. You will probably need a custom edge metal at the transition point if you go that way. Spec is 6 nails + hand sealing on a mansard btw.
http://www.gaf.com/roofing/residential/ ... ngles.aspx

That is good info to have about the nailing specs. I assume they know, but good for me to verify with them.

I was also looking at all of the II versions of their top end shingles, knowing they were thinner. I don't mind the upcharge in price of the more expensive versions, since it is a little to pay for a higher end look, but what you say about the transition makes sense, was my original reason for this thread. I do not like that metal edge you spoke of, that is what I am trying to avoid.

Profile Personal album