» Wet ceiling

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Post subject: Wet ceiling
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:04 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
I had a lady call me today because she noticed moisture in the corner of her ceiling where it buts to the wall. Roof and house are 5 years old. I cleaned out the little valleys above the door to look for a possible leak but everything looked fine except for some small ice dams. We got some sleet so im sure that is what that is from. We also got over a foot of fine powdery snow. She said this same thing happened last Christmas after snow and wind. She has a foot 1/2 overhang with vented soffit. Everything looked like it was done right. She has 3 spots where there is water in the corner of the ceiling and wall. There is actually water running down her wall. Any ideas where the snow is getting in? It doesnt happen from rain and she has cathedral ceilings in this ranch house. Any ideas. My only thought would be the ridge vent and its running all the way down. Its in central WI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:13 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:26 pm 

Post liked: 302 times
Liked posts: 269 times
The valleys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:59 pm 

-Axiom- wrote:
The valleys

you think snow is getting in through the valleys? Where and how?

We got our first snow on Tue night and she noticed it Wed. It is very fine snow so I think it had to have been blown in somewhere by the wind. Im stumped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:04 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 3 times
Water will run, but that seems like a long way with only wet spots at the ceiling wall junction.

How are the valleys roofed? open/closed cut/liner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:29 pm 

closed cut valleys and I could see metal at the bottom so im guessing they have metal underneath. I didnt roof the house and this is the first time I looked at it so dont know much other than what I seen when i was up there freezing my arse off for 10 min. It was so quick to appear, I was almost like the powdery snow had to of blown in somewhere but there is a significant amount of moisture on the ceiling and wall. The spots are about a foot wide by 3-4 inches up the ceiling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:39 pm 

Post liked: 50 times
Liked posts: 62 times
Did you look in the attic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:48 pm 

Post liked: 117 times
Liked posts: 77 times
Did ya check windows?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:42 pm 

there is no attic-cathedral ceiling and its above the windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:01 am 

Post liked: 25 times
Liked posts: 63 times
Closed cut valley + dimensional shingle + low pitched roof + light powdery snow = valley leak.

I assumewith the amount of sun today, some of it melted away and just sat there with no where to go and got between the shingles on the valley.

Also where the other leak is, the snow may have melted and went in behind the gutter apron. Maybe. Not sure without really looking.

My real question is why did you get light powder like snow and I got stuff so heavy I couldnt even lift it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:07 am 

Eleven years ago we had a blizzard during a roof job. Forecast called for flurries. We tore off, sheathed and tarped. That night the flurries where updated to a blizzard. Even with the plywood and tarp, I actually shoveled snow out of that attic. Snow blew in through a small gap between the plywood and moulding. Luckily no leaks inside.

So, in a blizzard, large amounts of snow could get drawn in through small cracks. I'd suspect the soffit system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:08 am 

Did the leaks occur on the side of the house that would have taken the most wind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:13 am 

BAMBAMM5144 wrote:
Closed cut valley + dimensional shingle + low pitched roof + light powdery snow = valley leak.

I assumewith the amount of sun today, some of it melted away and just sat there with no where to go and got between the shingles on the valley.

Also where the other leak is, the snow may have melted and went in behind the gutter apron. Maybe. Not sure without really looking.

My real question is why did you get light powder like snow and I got stuff so heavy I couldnt even lift it.

All the snow on the roof was powdery so I dont think any of it melted. As I was shoveling it off, most of it blew off the shovel before I could even toss it. How does light powdery snow get between shingles in valleys and nowhere else? All the snow in the gutters was powdery too so no it did not melt and go behind the gutter apron. IDK why you got heavy snow but im guessing the lake has something to do with that. Everything we got was powdery and I dont think any of it melted from the sun.

still stumped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:15 am 

Post liked: 25 times
Liked posts: 63 times
I say that because of how shingles sit in a closed valley. Ive ran into a few situations where valleys leaked after snow that sit in the valley started to melt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:17 am 

selfemployedslave wrote:
Eleven years ago we had a blizzard during a roof job. Forecast called for flurries. We tore off, sheathed and tarped. That night the flurries where updated to a blizzard. Even with the plywood and tarp, I actually shoveled snow out of that attic. Snow blew in through a small gap between the plywood and moulding. Luckily no leaks inside.

So, in a blizzard, large amounts of snow could get drawn in through small cracks. I'd suspect the soffit system.

yeah the side that leaked was the west facing so it must have come in through the soffit. It is a pretty big problem though if she is the only one in the area that has leaking after a snowstorm(???????) Her over hang is a good foot 1/2 so there is alot of soffit vent but it accumulated in 3 specific areas. If it were the soffit vent, youd think it would be the whole wall that had wetness. If it is the soffit vent, how can that be fixed? The work looks to be quality so IDK what to tell her.