» Weathered wood

Post subject: Weathered wood
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:58 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
Can someone distinguish the color of GAF vs the Landmark weathered wood? Is one lighter? Browner or grayer? Do you think this will go on a brown house?
tks!

Post subject: Re: Weathered wood
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:38 am 

Post liked: 252 times
Liked posts: 540 times
Beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder. I believe there are distinguishable differences between the GAF and Certainteed Weathered Wood shingles. I personally prefer the Certainteed version of weathered wood based on color. FWIW, I also personally prefer the Certainteed shingles over GAF from a quality perspective. Both of those statements are a perspective based upon my own personal opinion.

Weathered Wood is an earth tone shingle and should go well with most browns. Why don't you take a sample of each and hold them up at various places around your house, in the sunlight, to form your own opinion?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:00 pm 

Liked posts: 27 times
we replace a lot of old cedar roofs and they want the look of a real weathered cedar roof, GAF weathered wood is the best match and looks the best, IKO cambridge weathered wood is also very close, Certainteeds version dosent look as natural. Keep in mind im in conservative taste New England.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:27 pm 

Post liked: 3 times
Liked posts: 4 times
Personally I prefer the look of GAF weathered wood. Grab a sample of the types your interested in, 4 shingles or so, and place them as they would be applied in a few different areas. Place them in and out of the shade, and see which you prefer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:23 am 

Post liked: 91 times
Liked posts: 96 times
GAF Weathered Wood, like Pabco is more of a Brown color, where the Certainteed is more greyish than brown.

And yes, the Certainteed would look wonderful on your house, they always do :mrgreen:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:22 pm 

I've seen a roof on a few houses that kind of looks brown, tan, gray and blue. Any idea what color that might be?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:16 pm 

Post liked: 259 times
Liked posts: 238 times
montrota wrote:
I've seen a roof on a few houses that kind of looks brown, tan, gray and blue. Any idea what color that might be?

Driftwood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:46 pm 

Driftwood yes - I think that's it. How do you think that will look on a house w brown siding?
tks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:42 am 

Post liked: 10 times
Liked posts: 1 time
Weathered Wood or Driftwood would look fine IMO. You might want to look at Certainteed's mission brown its another real nice color, but its all up to you and your taste. :)