» valley flashing vs weaving

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:23 pm 

Post liked: 11 times
Liked posts: 159 times
Quote:
To make a architectural laminate shingle lay down on a woven valley you have to pull off the laminated part and make it thinner...

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:25 pm 

Post liked: 117 times
Liked posts: 77 times
Max Baxter Roofing wrote:
To make a architectural laminate shingle lay down on a woven valley you have to pull off the laminated part and make it thinner.....my personal opinion is that meatal valleys are for roofers who either dont know how to close out bond lines on a laminate shingle valley or dont want to take the time to figure out how to make it look good...no offense

R ya kidding?? :shock: :roll:

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:41 pm 

Post liked: 12 times
Liked posts: 13 times
I buy pre-bent valley metal and use tabs to secure it like its meant to be. Close valleys if the roof is skilled there will not be a leak since he does not go thru the other shingle or cuts them as he goes. Now California valley is the lazy way of doing it. The worst for me is the weave they look like crap. Just my 2 cents

More than willing to help anyone that needs help. IF you want to E-mail me monsterroofing@comcast.net and i will get back with you or you can email me at helpforroofing@comcast.net@comcast.net. be more than helping anyone that need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:17 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 10 times
all i know is it works and I do over 300 roofs every year using this technique...bottom line is if you weave a valley right it should not leak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:02 am 

Liked posts: 0 time
all i know is it works and I do over 300 roofs every year using this technique...bottom line is if you weave a valley right it should not leak

It sounds strange to me. If the layers separate that easily to just pull them apart I can't imagine that they would hold up in the wind.

Post subject: Weaving
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:31 pm 

Post liked: 5 times
I would use Ice and Water shield anyday!!!!!!!! And if you double up the felt, it's only another layer of protection and doesn't look like the valley is built up. And then close cut the valley, don't weave. Weaving doesn't look as professional as close cutting the valley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:28 pm 

Post liked: 92 times
Liked posts: 103 times
bottom line is if you weave a valley right it should not leak

It's not the leak factor that turns me away form woven valleys, they're as ugly as sin. And when the shingles start to shrink they stand up and look like louvres on a 1981 Camaro. Mind you they do give a place for small birds to nest :D

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: california vs woven vs metal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:11 am 

With a laminated shingle, you should not wove a valley, but you can install a center cut or California style valley as I think it's called in the state.

As a Master Elite installer, when you install the top warranty from GAF/Elk witch is the Golden Pledge (which become pro rated after 25 years) you must perform a California style valley, I think it's because not only that it has a better wind resistance but I think it's also for safety during hurricane season so you don't have all those piece of metal flying around.
Myself I prefer the look of the California valley over the metal valley if done properly.
In some case when major change of slope, you should always use the w valley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:43 am 

Post liked: 1 time
I do woven valley with Lam.sh. everyday around chimney crickets,front gadzibo joint sections and all, what no more like 3ft and not steeper 6/12. No starter valleys,especiall, when the cold weather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:33 am 

I gaurantee in the whole state of north carolina you would struggle to find 1,000 houses in the whole state with cut valleys...they are very rare here...the only one Ive ever done was for a customer who wanted copper valleys...yall come on down and we can put on a clinic on weavig 30 yr architect valleys and making them look perfect and leak free....still working on a pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:39 pm 

Post liked: 11 times
Liked posts: 159 times
Quote:
I gaurantee in the whole state of north carolina you would struggle to find 1,000 houses in the whole state with cut valleys...they are very rare here...the only one Ive ever done was for a customer who wanted copper valleys...yall come on down and we can put on a clinic on weavig 30 yr architect valleys and making them look perfect and leak free....still working on a pic

There is nothing wrong performance-wise with weaving shingles. The method itself however is antiquated and in almost all cases, unnecessary. Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean it's better or more effecient. If however, that is what your customers like and expect, than keep on keeping on.

You should not be ripping off pieces of material to make the shingles lay right though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:20 pm 

Post liked: 153 times
Liked posts: 183 times
Always used color matched w style metal valley over full I&W all the way up over 30# felt all the way up (w/dimensionals) over 30# felt. Small amount of additional per job cost that is money well spent. Always looks good and never had a leak.

Embarassing to drive around the corner in some neighborhood full of new roofs and be blinded by the reflection of a shiny new metal valley (not color matched and not copper) that some low baller installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:09 am 

the only part being torn off is the decorative laminte part of the shingles that is gonna be under another whole shingle anyway...no damage to the integrity in any way