» Silver coating on a flat roof AND anyone here from Chicago?

Post subject: Silver coating on a flat roof AND anyone here from Chicago?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:36 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
I need my 2-flat flat roof fixed - there's a leak going into the 2nd floor apartment and it's coming from the roof & parapet. I've learned more about roofing than I've ever wanted to by having 5 different companies come out to give advice and/or quotes, and reading stuff on this forum - But at least I can talk to them about it now and ask questions!

What I'm wondering about is this silver UV coating - does or can it really extend the life of the roof by 5 years, and how does it 'revitalize' the roof?
I was quoted $700, which seems kinda high being that I looked into buying the pails from Menards and they're like $55/5 gals. Granted it's 1800 sf of roof but is this coating that worth it?

Also, what's the difference between the silver and the white coatings?

Thanks much in advance! Mik

Post subject: Re: Silver coating on a flat roof AND anyone here from Chica
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:02 pm 

Post liked: 96 times
Liked posts: 109 times
I put Aluminex on a flat roof, and it filled the gaps is the cracked tar. And it dried to a solid layer over the the old tar & gravel roof (gravel removed before application, then re-applied afterwards).

I have also torn off the roof of a trailer that had Aluminex on it. The homeowner said it gave him an extra 3-4 years.

As far as "revitalizing your roof", well it's brand new, lol.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:43 pm 

Post liked: 309 times
Liked posts: 269 times
krod44 wrote:
I need my 2-flat flat roof fixed - there's a leak going into the 2nd floor apartment and it's coming from the roof & parapet. I've learned more about roofing than I've ever wanted to by having 5 different companies come out to give advice and/or quotes, and reading stuff on this forum - But at least I can talk to them about it now and ask questions!

What I'm wondering about is this silver UV coating - does or can it really extend the life of the roof by 5 years, and how does it 'revitalize' the roof?
I was quoted $700, which seems kinda high being that I looked into buying the pails from Menards and they're like $55/5 gals. Granted it's 1800 sf of roof but is this coating that worth it?

Also, what's the difference between the silver and the white coatings?

Thanks much in advance! Mik

You need to fix the leak before applying the coating.

Coatings are for protection from the sun.
A properly applied coating requires that the roof be refurbished/repaired prior to coating.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:42 pm 

Post liked: 25 times
Liked posts: 63 times
Look into Right Way Roofing and/or Reliable American.

One of them may very well refer you to the other.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:31 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 37 times
Hi.

$700 for a two flat silver coating? Please don't call me if you think that's expensive. A good quality silver coat such as Karnak 28 is $68 per 5 gallon bucket plus tax and delivery. I wouldn't use the stuff at home cheapo unless you want to repat this process every 2 years. In short it won't last as long as a good quality product. It'll look the same on day one but in year 3 you'll see a huge difference. The Karnak #28 is applied at approximately .75 gallons per 100 square feet. That's 3 5 gallon buckets. That's $250 plus labor.

Don't forget the repair/prep work. The coating is absolutely useless if the roof is in dis-repair. The purpose of a silver coat is NOT to fix the roof. It is nothing more than sun screen. Can it extend the life of a roof? Yes and no. The UV coating will prevent the sun from damaging the asphalt. The sun will dry out the natural oils causing pre-mature failure. Will silver coat add 5 years to an existing roof? Only with proper prep, meaning patching anything that may be wrong and fixing any split seams. The silver coat won't do anything to correct this.

There are coating products on the market such as Rm Lucas #6000 Universal. It'll cost ALOT more than $700 though, closer to $7,000 and yes these elastomeric roof coatings will extend the life of a roof, given the prep work is properly performed. These products are applied at anywhere from 2-3 gallons per 100 sq ft. BIG difference with silver coat.

Learn more about roof coatings and your flat roofing options. But please don't call me if low price will be your deciding factor.

One more thing about coatings. Your roof has to be in reasonably decent condition to have an elastomeric roof coating applied. I look at alot of roofs in and around chicago where they were sold a magic cure in a can, and it didn't work. Then the coating gets blamed, but the roof never should have been coated in the first place. If there is trapped moisture in the roof assembly, don't coat it. If there is seperation of the layers which has caused buckling and ridging, don't waste your money coating it. I was at a repair estimate last week, their roof NEEDS to be torn off, it's that bad, but some a-hole promised them it could be fixed with a coating. Well I won't be involved with that circus. They like all my customers will get a price to do it right or nothing at all. In some situations a coating may be OK, but not always.

Chicago Roofing Chicago Gutters

A user likes this :
-Axiom- (Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:03 pm)
 Profile Personal album