» Shingles blown off

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing Business Talk Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Post subject: Shingles blown off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:22 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 8 times
Ok , question for you guys , i value your opinion. I installed a new roof, the next day we had high winds ( gusts to about 65mph ). The shingles did not have time to seal so about 15 shingles blew off. Customer called excited said that a bunch of her shingles had blown off overnight & that she was very upset. I told her that if it was only a few shingles damaged ( less than 50 ) that i had no problem just replacing them , but if it was major damage that she would have to make a claim on her homeowners insurance , as we had completed the job.
She preceded to tell me i was responsible for this roof as they were installed & that a storm hit before they sealed . Now I live in Michigan & we often install shingles in the late fall To early spring on roofs KNOWing that they wont seal until spring.
I have never had any blown off before & they have always sealed later . So we went to her house replaced the 15 blown off shingles & was told by her that she had stopped payment on the check ( which I had already Deposited ).

Post subject: shingle blow off cont
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:28 pm 

Now i have no problem with replacing a few shingles if they blow off before they seal but am I morally , ethically , Or legally obligated to replace a whole roof or large portion if they haven't sealed yet. Just looking for your opinions .In 29 years of roofing this is the first case where i have had this happen .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:07 am 

Post liked: 124 times
Liked posts: 64 times
Its not your fault at ALL. A storm is a storm, 1 hour after the install, 1 month, 1 year, 10 years. Makes no difference.

Time to get the lien letter printed, (usually the threat of it works) along with fees for the check sorted out. She is being unreasonable, and should let you fix the little areas.

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.

Last edited by Agape on Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:08 am 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 35 times
Did you Install 3-tab...usually rated at 60mph, if it blew off in 65pmh winds then you have a little bit of leg to stand on.

I hate it when I borrow someone else car and have it break down on me....The car owner thinks I did something to it and wants me to pay for the repairs.

Your situation is the same and happened to you at the worst time, if you physically have total payment in the bank and you replaced 15 shingles for her...you did your job as a respectable contractor. As a precaution I would have dabbed all the tabs with mastic before I got off the roof.

If it was a laminate, then you have a manufacturers issue...but then the package instructions does say to manually seal them in cold weather...which might fall back on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:33 am 

Liked posts: 2 times
Fix the shingles get your money and say sorry for your inconvience. They usually just want to check your integrity. What if it was you or I? Not knowing how all this works and roofers having a bad name already I would probably do the same thing except I wouldn't stop the check. It will work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:56 am 

Post liked: 94 times
Liked posts: 108 times
WOW, what an unreasonable female dog.

Tell her you will have your lawyer send out the paperwork for a lien, and a new bill with fees incurred by her (NSF, lawyer fees, etc).
I bet she resubmits payment to you.

Good luck

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:10 am 

Liked posts: 9 times
so, i just bought this new truck....and as i was pulling out of the dealership...."BBAAMMM" i get t-boned and totalled it.....immediately i run back in and yell at the salesman and stop payment.....cuz its obviously his fault. :roll: seriously .....?

BTW i actually did total a truck last year with 80 miles on it and it was no ones fault except the geriatric that hit me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:15 am 

she did let us fix the 15 shingles , then informed us of stopping payment on the check . We installed 30 yr Certainteed landmarks , but this isn't a warranty issue as they didn't have a chance to seal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:18 am 

Liked posts: 9 times
my truck wasnt broken in either.....still not the dealers fault....schit happens!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:02 am 

Liked posts: 13 times
A couple days before the same wind storm as your area had (60-65mph) for a full day we did a roof with CT Landmark 30 W.W. The home owner a friend of mine text me as he was nervous what the wind was doing to his brand new roof. Told him with a 110mph warranty for 5 years he's got nothing to worry to about. None of his shingles the next day looked to be lose from the wind.

However got lots of calls from home owner on roofs I didn't do with wind damage! 5 the day after and more today.

Did your crew by chance nail above the double laminate section? Of course the warranty is ok above it as long as you go through the shingle below but they hold a lot better through all three layers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:46 am 

Post liked: 5 times
Liked posts: 4 times
dougger222 wrote:
Did your crew by chance nail above the double laminate section? Of course the warranty is ok above it as long as you go through the shingle below but they hold a lot better through all three layers.

^^^^^This^^^^^
You got to nail it right...........

johne5

Get it right, get it Bang-On!!
www.bangonroofing.com

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:54 am 

Post liked: 13 times
Liked posts: 28 times
johne5 wrote:
dougger222 wrote:

^^^^^This^^^^^
You got to nail it right...........

johne5

I'm not sure if this is serious or a joke, fyi, the warrantee is NOT ok if you nail above the line, or double laminate section (excepting certainteed and the OC "surenail" crap strip). Make sure you hit the line. Even if manufacturer tells you its ok not to.

Side note, I have had tamkos that the line was actually above the double laminate section. Anyone else ever see this? Line machine must have been off that day.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:21 am 

Post liked: 280 times
Liked posts: 575 times
On one hand, I can understand the Homeowner being concerned or upset and expecting you to come out and fix the problem. However, you did come out and fix the problem in a timely fashion. IMHO, she is way out of line by stopping the check and were it me, I would be taking immediate necessary action to collect what is owed to you.

One has to wonder a hypothetical situation. Suppose you had held off replacing the roof due to the pending storm. Suppose the storm blew off massive amounts of her old roof and caused substantial interior damage. One would wonder if she might have been upset at you for not replacing the roof prior to the storm and possibly threaten to sue you.

The only way to avoid dealing with an asshat from time to time is to not do any business period. Seems a shame but that's the way it is.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:35 am 

Liked posts: 3 times
As an insurance adjuster, I guess I have a different perspective on this one. If you are installing shingles "knowing" that they are not going to seal for some time, then, you're sticking your neck out.

Think of it this way, if you go to court over this and you acknowledge that you are aware the shingles installed may not seal because of the time of the year,then, you will lose every day of the week.

Any decent attorney would make you look either incompetent or greedy at the expense of the "poor" homeowner. As an insurance adjuster, if that homeowner filed a claim for her wind damage, we certainly would pursue subrogation against you.

I would suggest the following. Contact the customer and apologize. I'd throw out the option of getting a local independent engineer to look at her roof to ensure that it is structually sound or offer to seal er shingles with mastic. Either way, it may cost a couple hundred bucks, but, it may save you a lot of aggravation down the road.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:26 am 

Post liked: 280 times
Liked posts: 575 times
I think the issue here is the roofer not having the knowledge of the pending unseasonal excessive winds. Had the roofer been aware there would be 60 mph+ winds coming in the very next day, then I see validity in your point of view. However, had these excessive winds not occured, it is probable these shingles would have sealed adequately in the next few days to a week to have easily withstood the winter and into the spring where they would have completely sealed at that time.

Bottom line, the roofer responded quite proactively and has likely resolved the issue to the point where this will no longer be a problem. What more would you have them do? And what justification does the Homeowner have for witholding payment at this point?

Profile Personal album