» Roofer offers to hand nail or use nail gun ---- which one?

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page Previous  1, 2
  Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:10 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 5 times
Given the choice on MY PROPERTY, I'd choose hand-nail every time over nail-guns, because almost anyone can operate a hammer, but so few can properly use a nail-gun. With a nail-gun you need to remove and discard shingles where nails were over-driven (not a problem with hand nail), and you need to stop nailing to pull out the hammer on under-driven nails which most roofers do NOT take the time to do. So, without a doubt, if everything else is equal a hand-nailed roof will be better installed than a gun-nailed roof.

Now, if I was the roofer? I'd rather use a nail-gun because it is quicker and more profitable, which is why you will get a lot of "nail-guns are fine" responses. I've not checked personally, but I'd almost be willing to bet that if you asked the shingle manufacturers which is preferred, they too would recommend hand-nailing. I know as a consultant that every consulting firm I've worked for requires hand-nailed over gun-nailed, and often times I get called out to inspect a gun-nailed job gone awry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:27 pm 

Post liked: 117 times
Liked posts: 77 times
as said before,its the installer,not the way its nailed..gun or hand..

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:31 pm 

Post liked: 92 times
Liked posts: 103 times
Cerberus wrote:
So, without a doubt, if everything else is equal a hand-nailed roof will be better installed than a gun-nailed roof.

Then why do I keep pulling off old roofs that have numerous shingles with only 2 or 3 nails in them, some t-loc roofs i remove I find shingles with no nails in them.
I guess no nails is better than air nails huh?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:50 pm 

Post liked: 288 times
Liked posts: 260 times
kage wrote:
as said before,its the installer,not the way its nailed..gun or hand..

I agree.

I have been roofing for over 24 yrs and overdriving nails with a nail gun has never been an issue.
Sure it happens on occasion when it is really hot out, if this is the case it is time to go home anyway.
The colder it gets the more resistant the shingles are to overdriving.

If you hit the laminated portion of the shingle your nails won't be overdriven unless your air pressure is dangerously high.
You get blow throughs and overdriven nails by not nailing in the right spots.
This is an installer issue.

With a quality oriented, experienced crew gun nailing is equal to hand nailing.
Unfortunately crews like this are the exception rather than the rule.

If you have a salesman that harps on the fact that they can do your roof very quickly, well I as a roofer would be very suspicious.

If you hear nail guns going off like machine guns chances are that the shingles aren't being nailed correctly.
There are shinglers out there who can consistently put down 2 sq/hr and do it correctly.
Again these guys are the exception rather than the rule.

A poorly installed roof can look exactly like a properly installed roof, all of the little things that make the difference are hidden from view.

As a roofer I would also be suspicious of a contractor that offered to hand nail at the same price as gun nailed.
I would charge at least 30% more to hand nail an entire roof.

I do plenty of hand nailing, I do all the eyebrows and returns this way, I usually hand nail the lower 4' of valleys also.

We use Landmarks and do most of our work on large bodies of water in Northern Michigan.
We gun nail these roofs and have never had a Landmark shingle blow off, ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 am 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 3 times
[quote="-Axiom] As a roofer I would also be suspicious of a contractor that offered to hand nail at the same price as gun nailed.
I would charge at least 30% more to hand nail an entire roof.[/quote]

That doesn't make sense to me either. Maybe he has it built into his price???