» Pitch Burn

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Post subject: Pitch Burn
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:33 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
Beer & Aloe? Face is on fire!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:09 am 

Liked posts: 27 times
Its the eyes that can really get banged up with CTP. I was in the hospital once because of it. But I was on time at work the next day to dig in. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:12 am 
Site Admin

Post liked: 16 times
Liked posts: 69 times
Prep H helps prevent it, believe it or not.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Pitch Burn
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:59 am 

Liked posts: 5 times
primetimebt wrote:
Beer & Aloe? Face is on fire!

Yes, beer and aloe will help, but make sure the aloe does NOT have any perfumes or alcohol, and that it is 100% aloe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:37 am 

Post liked: 13 times
I asked this question last spring. What I gathered is that you mostly have to suck it up.
Don't tear off on really sunny or windy days.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:37 pm 

Pitch cream and pitch masks can help prevent pitch burn and you should cover as much of your body as you can with clothing and gloves, etc. The fact is that you will get burned regardless. Once you have pitch burn there is no way to get rid of it, except time.

That having been said, the doctor can prescribe ointment for your eyes. I use it sparingly so I don't have to keep going back for a script whenever I get pitch burn. My miracle cure for the pain of pitch burn on your skin is to go to any place that sells sunburn remedies and pick up a whole bunch of sunburn gel with lidocaine. The lidocaine takes the pain away almost instantly and keeps it away for hours. Keep re-applying the stuff until the burn is healed. Avoid heat and sunlight as much as possible.

Last edited by WarGoddess on Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:29 pm 

union roofers would get more money to install CTP but not to rip it. There was a CTP modified for a little while made by Allied Signal, but there gone now. I think you can still get Koppers. Some of those old CTP roofs could last 50 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 pm 

Liked posts: 3 times
Union roofers get additional 4.75 an hour here to rip pitch. Pitch has been banned here for over 25 years.
One of the buildings I service has a pitch roof which is close to 60 years old and considering its age is holding up quite well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:06 pm 

tumpline wrote:
Union roofers get additional 4.75 an hour here to rip pitch. Pitch has been banned here for over 25 years.
One of the buildings I service has a pitch roof which is close to 60 years old and considering its age is holding up quite well.

Seriously? I'm in Local 33 out of Boston and we get both diddly and squat extra to rip pitch or asbestos.

I installed a pitch roof at the University of Connecticut about three years ago. It is a durable roof and you gotta love the fact that it melts and fills in any holes during the summer heat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:22 pm 

Liked posts: 3 times
WarGoddess wrote:
tumpline wrote:

Seriously? I'm in Local 33 out of Boston and we get both diddly and squat extra to rip pitch or asbestos.

I installed a pitch roof at the University of Connecticut about three years ago. It is a durable roof and you gotta love the fact that it melts and fills in any holes during the summer heat.

Yes seriously, when I left local 30 it was $3.30 which was about 5 or 6 years ago, gave my cousin a call which still works for a union company and he said its now $4.75.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:37 pm 

I was in local 33 Boston and we got a dollar to install hot pitch but nothing to rip it. The union also paid for me and several other guys back in the 80's to go to asbestos school for a week to get a supervisors licence. I let mine run out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:19 pm 

RooferJ wrote:
I was in local 33 Boston and we got a dollar to install hot pitch but nothing to rip it. The union also paid for me and several other guys back in the 80's to go to asbestos school for a week to get a supervisors licence. I let mine run out.

We still get paid to go to asbestos class, though it's only a few hours on a Saturday now. Some companies actually require the training.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:42 am 

We should have a tip section where we all post tricks of the trade so people dont have to keep asking the same question. I know I would have loved to know how to make pitch stop burning when I was a kid, so I'm fairly certain someone else will be asking once the season starts up again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:03 pm 

Liked posts: 5 times
RooferJ wrote:

I got nothing extra, not even an "attaboy" when we put down 36,000 squares of CTP on the Nissan Truck Manufacturing Plant in Tennessee; which I see has since been re-roofed because of issues with felt migration (it led to litigation between Nissan, Koppers and Owens-Corning).

Anyway, after dealing with fiberglass insulation and coal-tar pitch for around 1.5 years on that project, we found there would be good days and bad days dealing with the CTP even if you did the same task every day.

I will say the one thing we all enjoyed was cold weather, that way we could bundle up to stay warm and protect our skin from the CTP at the same time.

Truth be known, CTP should be outlawed as it is a carcinogen and there is no telling what kind of damage it has done to those of us that have used it long-term.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:11 pm 

Cerberus wrote:
RooferJ wrote:

I got nothing extra, not even an "attaboy" when we put down 36,000 squares of CTP on the Nissan Truck Manufacturing Plant in Tennessee; which I see has since been re-roofed because of issues with felt migration (it led to litigation between Nissan, Koppers and Owens-Corning).

Anyway, after dealing with fiberglass insulation and coal-tar pitch for around 1.5 years on that project, we found there would be good days and bad days dealing with the CTP even if you did the same task every day.

I will say the one thing we all enjoyed was cold weather, that way we could bundle up to stay warm and protect our skin from the CTP at the same time.

Truth be known, CTP should be outlawed as it is a carcinogen and there is no telling what kind of damage it has done to those of us that have used it long-term.

I don't know about what damage it causes, but I do know that all the old timers who used to install the stuff would chew on chunks like it was gum. They're all dead.