» Modified Bitumen (MP) or Dura-Last: Which is Better??

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page Previous  1, 2
  Post subject: Choice
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:43 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
Derby Gum torch down 2-ply system verses a roofing system that one can cut the mesh and rip the full length of the membrane hmmm. The contractor has to be certified and licensed to do Duro-last if not the warranty will not be covered also check into all roofing products by Energystar if the material is used that is approved by them then 1 (i.e. homeowner can recieve 30% of cost up to 1500 back on taxes) Check the web site alot of people don't like torch down cause they don't know how to do it i did BP refinery in Toledo well over 20 years ago and they are still there go figure Duro-last started as a pool liner system from good ole Saginaw michigan remember also that duro-;ast is a pre cut measured system done in the shop then put together in the field alot of people mess that up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:10 am 

Liked posts: 0 time
jdw.roofer wrote:
ha ha funny..ive been roofin for 20 years as well..most epdm roofs i installed were from replacing torchdown roofs ..say what you want but i dont like torchdown..and no im not critizing anyone..

haha I've been doing torchon roofs for 25 years and have torn off thousands of squares of failed rubber membranes during that time. 50% of the failures were the seams coming apart and 50% was substrate failure/movement.
I have yet to be asked to tear off a torched down roof.

I don't like that specification though, "scrape off the stones and torch the new membrane to the old BUR", there is bound to be moisture in the old BUR, and that will likely cause blisters/bubbles under the new membrane.
They would be better to loose lay then mechanically fix a base sheet over the BUR then torch the cap sheet to that, and get a decent thickness down.

I have seen Durolast on Burger King store roofs here in NZ it looks like crap to me. I have samples they sent me and it doesn't amke me any more confident either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:33 am 

Post liked: 289 times
Liked posts: 262 times
Welcome to the site MikeNZ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:24 pm 

Liked posts: 15 times
yeah jdw its hard to knock torchdown around here.
the best thing to do is say you dont like it because of the fire risk.

its only downfall.

gweedo.