» Min. temperature to shingle

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing Business Talk Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Post subject: Min. temperature to shingle
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:46 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 0 time
600 square job is on the line because the apart. complex owner wants to wait now for spring. But he has close to 800 shingles blown off.

Its about 60 today here in ohio and may start getting into the 50's in a week or so.

Is it too cold here to shingle?

One guy told him it's too cold and you will have to caulk or tar each shingle if it's not in the 60's.

I do not want to mislead the client so what's the honest way to approach it?

bottom line- ..If we do the job next week or so in the high 50's to 60's will we be okay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:13 am 

Post liked: 2 times
Liked posts: 1 time
by the book.....many days above 40 degrees I have had no trouble with Certain Teed sealing down nor "blasting" the shingles with the driver of the gun in cold weather with good sunshine. Here we go with cold weather questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:30 am 

Post liked: 12 times
Liked posts: 13 times
I have shingled into the 30's but they where just 1 story homes. The key to it is proper nail height. and if its up high well hand sealing might be a good idea. I would do it on those temps.

More than willing to help anyone that needs help. IF you want to E-mail me monsterroofing@comcast.net and i will get back with you or you can email me at helpforroofing@comcast.net@comcast.net. be more than helping anyone that need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:49 am 

Post liked: 13 times
Liked posts: 27 times
Just 5 or 6 nail if you're worried about it. I have shingled in temperatures in the single digits, 10s, 20s, 30s...100s

Axiom has said this before-when its cold, you have to make sure to push the shingle to the roof BEFORE you pull the trigger. Otherwise nails can blow through. It slows you down but its better than not working.

50s, no problem. That is nearly ideal shingling.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:26 am 

Post liked: 270 times
Liked posts: 564 times
We put quite a few roofs in Nov and Dec last year in Indiana. Not one problem. 50's and 60's ideal IMHO, warm enough to at least seal a bit but not so hot where you have to be careful about marring the shingles.

If you want to do the job, why not arrange a conversation between the property owner and a rep from the shingle manufacturer? Seems to me that should be a reasonable way to address the owner's concerns.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:45 pm 

Post liked: 92 times
Liked posts: 103 times
I roof when it's -20C (-4F) up here, nail carefully and use mastic dabs.
If my bills took the winter off so would I.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:21 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 3 times
read shingle package, it has the temp. info on it. different brands have different temps. anything around freezing could be a problem if you use nail gun. watch for punch threw at low temps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:02 am 

Liked posts: 27 times
I have shingled when it was below zero, I think its worse when its hot and humid. Roofers Roof "all year"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:35 am 

Post liked: 124 times
Liked posts: 64 times
50s and 60s are PERFECT weather conditions to shingle. If the sun is out, those shingles will seal up.

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:07 pm 

Post liked: 334 times
Liked posts: 366 times
This may sound silly but I try not to nail if its under 30 but only then if I have to I will make sure the sun is out.But I don't live in a northern area.,so I cannot say for they're practices but 5- and 60 is prime nailing.In brutal temps I set my air pressure and even resort to hand nailing.Do what you have to do to feed your family but use proper workmanship practices.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:47 am 

Post liked: 92 times
Liked posts: 103 times
nailer71301 wrote:
read shingle package, it has the temp. info on it. different brands have different temps. anything around freezing could be a problem if you use nail gun. watch for punch threw at low temps.

Which brand has a min/max temperature on their bundle wrappers?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:52 pm 

Post liked: 288 times
Liked posts: 260 times
Over the years we have put on several roofs in temps well below freezing.

We haven't had any issues of any kind with any of them.
You have to modify your installation practices to adapt to the lower temps, and yes it does take longer, significantly longer sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:50 pm 

Its that time a year again... We had our first cold front come through in the south, and a few jobs have some shingles that are not laying flat.

Just wondering... How do you guys approach this with your customers? Tell them before hand that this may happen? Reassure them after that they will lay down with some sunny days/heat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:10 pm 

I have laid shingles on the coldest snowiest conditions, never had a blow off or leak. Always be sure of your nailing, and any amount of sun will settle any shingles not laying flat right away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:45 am 

Post liked: 130 times
Liked posts: 257 times
A couple years ago we roofed half a house (converted barn) in a blizzard. Had to sweep the snow off as we shingled. We didn't plan on roofing in a blizzard. Just seems the weather man miscalculated what time the storm was supposed to arrive. One of those evening snow storms that showed up at noon.

The homeowner came in the other day wanting the other half roofed. I told him we'd get to it the day of the first blizzard. Have to keep things even, you know.

By the way, he's never had the first problem with it.

Profile Personal album