» Leaking Roof

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing Business Talk Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Post subject: Leaking Roof
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:35 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
First time poster. I'm on the consumer end of roofing, just had my roof redone last fall by a licensed and insured roofer. A few nights ago my wife and i noticed a small leak dripping down our stove vent hood. Since then i have called the roofer and he is planning on coming out to take a look.

Question is, what should i expect him to do? Since he is licensed and insured i was told he should 1. obviously fix the leak and 2. fix/replace what was damaged by said leak. Do i call my insurance company as well or should his be taking care of what ever needs done?

Don't know if it makes a difference but we are in Oakland County, MI.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Leaking Roof
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:00 pm 

Liked posts: 6 times
What was damage? Arn't stove vent medal most contractror labor warranty don't cover interior damages any pentration needs resealing now and then.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:23 am 

Liked posts: 8 times
The contractor should fix the leak & repair any damage , as long as its cause is not from ice back up . When thats the case we always work with the customer to resolve the problem but this often involves more than just roof work.
Should be no need to call the insurance company , plus damage down a vent pipe is likely slight .

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:47 am 

Post liked: 334 times
Liked posts: 366 times
oldman_roofer wrote:
The contractor should fix the leak & repair any damage , as long as its cause is not from ice back up . .

Agreed.,sounds like you are off to a positive start.Things happen.Sometimes when the water is coming down the pipe the collars above the pipe flashings have been disturbed.Or sometimes if a large amount of cement was used around the shingles at the flashing prior to tear off then during the tear off its possible to accidently penetrate the flashing with a nailbar.Should have been noticed but sometimes the manufacture seam can be jarred.It does happen.

Its possible that a small or slight staining but no biggy.He will take care of you.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:53 am 

Liked posts: 0 time
so long story short, if he does not look in my attic or want to look at the drywall in my kitchen i should question him on it?

thanks for the replies!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:02 am 

Post liked: 124 times
Liked posts: 64 times
First of all, licensed and insured has absolutely nothing to do with a warranty issue. Neither the license, nor the insurance will fix your leaky roof, or obligate him to fix anything.

It's ALL about his workmanship warranty.

Give him a chance to come and fix it, then report back here.

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:34 am 

Post liked: 334 times
Liked posts: 366 times
Excellent post Jason,,,,Check your PM'ZZZZ

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:13 am 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 35 times
The first thing that comes to mind about stove pipes 1st is the collar. The 2nd usual problem is the flashing on the deck.

Do you have an 8-12 inch diameter pipe? These flashing are large and create a similar problem that valley's go through

On Valley's...roofers need to cut the corners off the shingle that dives into the valley....If they don't do this, water can catch the corner and move horizontally and drain into the structure.

Same action will happen on this flashing.....The fix... is to cut the corners and caulk the perimeter and underneath the shingles around the base of the flashing. You see the pix below...look to the left where the shingle is cut.

This was a training session and the demonstrator cut the corner off too much, these flashing tend to expand and contract with weather and sometimes they may bubble over time.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:57 pm 

Post liked: 96 times
Liked posts: 109 times
I'm curious as to why there would be a solid pipe (like your furnace exhaust pipe) for stove exhaust? Up here we use a flapper vent, like the bathroom exhaust.

But a respectable contractor should fix the leak, and any damages caused by said leak.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:03 pm 

Liked posts: 6 times
repair leak yes, interior if from workmanship yes if act of god no

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:18 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 35 times
In our area ...we call them wood stoves.

But I get your point....we call the kitchen stove...the kitchen range and we install "range vent".

This could be either an RVO-38 metal can vent of metal flapper.

Again...the same solution fix with the flapper vent...with standard 7-8 inch diameter kitchen range pipe, you WILL have to cut the corners and caulk under-neath...especially if a "Braun" metal flapper is used.

The flange on the deck is only about 1 1/2 inches wide, leave a 1/4-1/2 inch gap around the vent and only leaves about an inch before horizontal water intrusion occurs.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:20 pm 

Liked posts: 2 times
I’m perplexed by someone who would tell this Owner that the roofing contractor would automatically repairs any “damages” incurred due to the leaking roof and I couldn’t disagree more. I would add that integrity has nothing to do with repairing interior damage caused by leaks; it’s simply a matter of responsibility under the warranty.

First, a typical roof warranty would be for materials, workmanship, etc. and would be a guarantee against leaks and their repair during the warranty period. In no way does the warranty stipulate that it would cover interior damage, for the simple reason that no mfg. (or contractor for that matter) would take on that type of liability. Can you imagine the insurance claim for roof leaks at a Food Processing Plant with multimillion dollar equipment, which is claiming damage from roof leaks 5, 6, 7 ….years after the roof was installed? There would be no end to lawsuits and insurance claims, which is the obvious reason interior damage is not covered.

Additionally, there are too many unknown factors to determine if the materials and workmanship were actually the cause of the leak, which could have resulted from roof top traffic (especially on commercial properties), high winds, etc.

I would add that a roofing contractors insurance wouldn’t be responsible for post roof installation damage, however, this would be a different matter if the building or home received damage DURING the roofing installation. The two are completely different matters.

2 users likes this :
Agape (Thu May 19, 2011 6:44 pm), kage (Mon May 23, 2011 8:35 pm)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:53 pm 

Post liked: 132 times
Liked posts: 264 times
If we did a roof on a customer's house and it leaked because of something we didn't do right and damaged the interior of a customer's home we would fix it without question. That's why they hire us in the first place. To put their roof on properly.

Besides, negative publicity will cost you much more in the long run than it will cost to repair what you messed up in the first place.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:05 pm 

Post liked: 124 times
Liked posts: 64 times
negligence is completely different than just a leaky roof.

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:43 am 

Post liked: 132 times
Liked posts: 264 times
What other reason might there be for a new, leaky roof other than negligence?

Profile Personal album