» laying new shingles on top of old

Post subject: laying new shingles on top of old
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:38 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
I am having a new roof put on my house and the roofers want to lay the new asphalt shingles on top of the old ones. My house was built in 1983 and this is the first time the roof has had any work done. Is this okay to do or should I insist on a complete tear down? I live in Tucson, Arizona and we get very little rain (maybe 10 inches) a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:50 am 

Liked posts: 2 times
I would always recommend a tear-off.Most areas it is ok to do a lay-over.A re-roof makes for a way better finished result IMO.Plus you get new underlay and can inspect the deck.Spend the extra it's well worth it,IMO..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:11 am 

I would highly recommend removing the first layer especially in tucson. I spent 5 yrs in AZ between Phoenix and Tucson. With the extreme heat in AZ you will lose 5-8 yrs of roof life by not tearing off the original roof.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:52 am 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 9 times
tear it off. why does he want to go over? is he afraid of the extra labor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:01 pm 

Post liked: 12 times
Liked posts: 13 times
Tear off or it will not last as long as the warranty.

More than willing to help anyone that needs help. IF you want to E-mail me monsterroofing@comcast.net and i will get back with you or you can email me at helpforroofing@comcast.net@comcast.net. be more than helping anyone that need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:02 pm 

Post liked: 12 times
Liked posts: 13 times
Also with the heat down there you want to make sure the home is properly ventilated.

More than willing to help anyone that needs help. IF you want to E-mail me monsterroofing@comcast.net and i will get back with you or you can email me at helpforroofing@comcast.net@comcast.net. be more than helping anyone that need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:41 pm 

Liked posts: 5 times
Tear it off, unless you are the type of person that buys retreads when you purchase tires.

Why would you want to put a new product overtop an old product? Wouldn't common-sense tell you this is not a good idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:55 am 

Liked posts: 15 times
thet dont make 2" roofing nails for nothin.
depends on your slope, how long you want it to last.
theres alot of recovers here in tb.
they work.
not a fan of them.
have done them.
can sell them.
dont want to.

gweedo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:16 am 

Need to be cautious in this area. To tear off, or not to? Some Shingle Manufacturers may void a Warranty for Layovers, not to mention the shingles underneath can shorten the Lifespan of the new Shingles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:24 am 

Post liked: 1 time
Honestly, it really depends on how true and flat your existing roof is, as long as their are no possibilities of decking issues that must be dealt with.

Also, if you live in a cold climate, there is no practical way to install the Grace Ice and Water Shiled that most codes now require, so you would be getting denied that additional protection.

Additionally, by doing a lay-over, you are creating "Heat-Sumps" trapped between the two layers, which, along with any trapped humidity or moisture, will decay the new roof shingles even more prematurely.

Finally, as a long term vision, if you intend on staying in the home for about 15 years at least, (because that is about the longest the new roof will last as a lay-over), or if you may be planning on selling in about 10 years, you will have the additional cost of paying for a 2 layer tear-off to be able to re-roof the home at that time.

I don't know your personal age or your geographic climate, but that could be a major consideration in the long run. If either of those time periods are later on in your maturing, near retirement years, then, the additional costs associated in todays valuation of dollars, would be even more impracticle than currently.

Many home inspectors use the roof age and wear and tear and amount of layers as a key and critical factor in assisting their prospective buyer in negotiating a much better deal at the sale time of price negotiation.

Ed