» Impact Resistant GAF, Certainteed, Malarkey, Atlas ?

Post subject: Impact Resistant GAF, Certainteed, Malarkey, Atlas ?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:42 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
Hi,

Looks like we are in the hail replacement mode for our roof in Fort Worth, TX. I got couple of bids and not sure what would be the best impact resistant shingles to use in our climate. Reading all kinds of stories on the Web and it makes the choice quite different.

What would professionals recommend ? After comparing warranties etc. 50y impact resistant GAF/ELK seems to be the choice for us, yet Malarkey is getting nice reviews. All I want is a roof that I don't have to worry about for next 20-30 years.

On the other note, is there some sort of a check list of things to look at once the project is done ?
Heart of roofers not sealing vents etc that are easy to check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:24 am 

Hire someone you trust, not the lowest price. If you do this, do not have to spend too much time worrying about what he's doing. Now its his problem. If it leaks call him and he'll come fix it.

I like certainteed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:48 am 

GAF-Elk has lifetime warranties available through a certified contractor but I visited Malarkey's plant in Portland last year and saw first hand why their fifty year legacy is the best hail resistant shingle made. They have used rubber palmers to extend the life and flexibility of their shingles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:32 pm 

Post liked: 32 times
Liked posts: 9 times
Texan, I'm in the Austin area & if you'd like, I can get you info on the GAF products.

If it's Class IV impact AND wind resistance you're after, have you considered going metal (realizing that your neighborhood may not allow this).

What kind of price differences are you seeing in the different products? For IR (Impact Resistance) ratings, hou HAVE to use a specific hip & ridge cap shingle; make sure your contractor isn't skipping this (i.e. ask to see a parts list & compare it to what is on the ship list from the parts supplier). CertainTeed's IR hip & ridge caps are more expensive than GAF & I have no experience with Malarkey (I think they only recently started penetrating the Texas market).

Additionally, take a look @ what kind of warranty you are getting from your contractor. I highly reccomend that if you go with GAF, you get someone who can install with the Golden Pledge (100% parts coverage for 20 years, not 'just' field & hip / ridge).

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dripping- ... 093?ref=ts

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:39 pm 

Liked posts: 1 time
State farm offers a 30% discount on your premiums
if you go with Malarkey impact resistant shingle...
or at least they do in wyoming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:49 pm 

Post liked: 32 times
Liked posts: 9 times
27% Here in Texas.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dripping- ... 093?ref=ts

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:10 pm 

Malarkey only!!!!! ITs rubber not laminated or fiber glass they also have a pick your own warranty. malarkey has the highest rating on hail plus its cheaper then the others