» IKO shingles???? Need advice.

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Post subject: IKO shingles???? Need advice.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:48 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
My roofer wants to use IKO shingles. I've read several negative reviews of these shingles. Any advice ? I live in the Mid-West, just outside of St. Louis, Mo. So you have temperatures on both ends of the extremes. What brand would you recommend? I was looking for architectural fiberglass, 30+ years.
Thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

Just to update. The first time I talked to the roofer, He stated, that OC Durations were the only way to go,and I was fine with that. Just to verify, I called him to make sure the shingles were on order. And he changed the order to IKO's. I asked why the change to IKO and he told me that the IKO's were the only way to go and OC Durations were one of the worst/cheapest shingles out there. I asked if he'd had long term experience with the Iko's and he just says, If you don't know what you want, I'll cancell the whole order and hangs up on me.
Well, back to the roofer search. Small house $4000, I think I have the right to ask afew questions and not be hung up on. Anyway, THANKS for the replies.

Last edited by HAMMERHEAD on Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:20 pm 

Liked posts: 2 times
You said the swear word.Most people on here will tell you their woes with IKO.I'm from Canada and they are huge up here.I've installed thousands of squares of IKO,without a problem.They are not my choice of shingle,but I think they did flood the market at one point with defective shingles,causing an uproar and dislike for the company in the roofing industry.My choice of shingles in order are Malarkey,Certainteed,gak/Elk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:24 pm 

Liked posts: 41 times
hammerhead,we have had nothing but badluck with iko out here in the new england area!blowoffs every winter!your contractor just wants to use them because they are cheaper & metric(larger)!your best bet would be gaf timberline 30 or certainteed.with a 5 inch course instead of a 6inch course you have less chance of wind shear & blowoffs!buy american gaf or certainteed,ikos are from canada!goodluck,bob @ rooftuneups1214@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:11 am 

stay away from IKO...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:13 am 

Post liked: 1 time
I was just at an IKO "Pricing For Profit" seminar yesterday, along with Grumpy and I enjoyed the NE Sales Managers, (John DeRosa) discussion quite well.

I have seen the related experiences of many hundreds of contractors and I have said it before many times, depending on where the roofing contractors are getting their shingles from, will depend on the resultant quality.

I intend on taking a tour of their local manufacturing facility to see how they are made and if anyone has any hints on what to look for, as far as quality control in the manufacturing processes, please let me know what to look for.

Since the company, along with ABC Supply took the time and expense to attempt to instruct a group of contractors on how to establish their credibility and deserve to be rewarded further financially for their efforts, I will take a pass on the continuing bashing that is prevalent about the product.

Who knows, maybe they learned some lessons from when they flooded the Chicago Market with poor quality shingles back in the early 90's with a quality level that would not have sufficed as seconds.

I will test their shingles out and keep an ongoing vigilant inspection process done for comparative analysis against some of the other brands that I choose to install.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:00 am 

corry newvill wrote:
hammerhead,we have had nothing but badluck with iko out here in the new england area!blowoffs every winter!your contractor just wants to use them because they are cheaper & metric(larger)!your best bet would be gaf timberline 30 or certainteed.with a 5 inch course instead of a 6inch course you have less chance of wind shear & blowoffs!buy american gaf or certainteed,ikos are from canada!goodluck,bob @ rooftuneups1214@yahoo.com

The IKO we get 90% of it comes from Sumas,Washington.U.S.A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:04 am 

ed the roofer wrote:
I was just at an IKO "Pricing For Profit" seminar yesterday, along with Grumpy and I enjoyed the NE Sales Managers, (John DeRosa) discussion quite well.

I have seen the related experiences of many hundreds of contractors and I have said it before many times, depending on where the roofing contractors are getting their shingles from, will depend on the resultant quality.

I intend on taking a tour of their local manufacturing facility to see how they are made and if anyone has any hints on what to look for, as far as quality control in the manufacturing processes, please let me know what to look for.

Since the company, along with ABC Supply took the time and expense to attempt to instruct a group of contractors on how to establish their credibility and deserve to be rewarded further financially for their efforts, I will take a pass on the continuing bashing that is prevalent about the product.

Who knows, maybe they learned some lessons from when they flooded the Chicago Market with poor quality shingles back in the early 90's with a quality level that would not have sufficed as seconds.

I will test their shingles out and keep an ongoing vigilant inspection process done for comparative analysis against some of the other brands that I choose to install.

Ed
Ed,did I hear you right?I never thought I'd hear those words from you,lol.I visited their plant in Sumas,they got some neat high tech gadgetry.Interesting if nothing else.Take care-John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:01 am 

John,

I have been aware for a very long time, that the quality impression of the IKO products varied greatly, especially with good reports from Canadian and West Coast Roofing Contractors.

In the Chicago market, their name was Mud though.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:36 am 

Hello,

I have to chime in here. I have installed 5 Iko roofs and I was not that impressed with them. They were very granually(sp?). Very dangerous on an 8/12 I did this past summer. The architectual line was just as bad and had several blowthroughs on one roof, even after adjusting air pressure. Outside air temp was in the 40s so weather was not an issue. From my experience they are crap.I have talked to several shinglers were I work and they say the same thing.
In Alaska IKO sucks(IMO)
I have to go with Malarkey Legacys for a first choice if available in your area.
Ed and John, I assume that we get our IKOs from the west coast plant.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:08 am 

Post liked: 12 times
Liked posts: 13 times
The reason he changed shingles is because they are cheaper than OC. I personally have used them and have not had any luck. Now this is 15 years ago im talking. I had an IKO rep come from Canada to talk to me 2 years ago. I showed him his product and had him explain why and how to the homeowners. The guy was a nice guy. He understood my problem and it was left at that. He does watch this forum from what i remember. Either way The OC is a better shingle IMO. Personally i would do Certainteed.

More than willing to help anyone that needs help. IF you want to E-mail me monsterroofing@comcast.net and i will get back with you or you can email me at helpforroofing@comcast.net@comcast.net. be more than helping anyone that need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:56 am 

Liked posts: 9 times
95 % of the blow off repairs we do are IKO's. In north east ours come from Canada

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:41 am 

Post liked: 295 times
Liked posts: 265 times
I looked at another 12 year old IKO roof this week, it was totally shot, cracked, and falling apart.

The ventilation is done right also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:52 pm 

Post liked: 4 times
-Axiom- wrote:
I looked at another 12 year old IKO roof this week, it was totally shot, cracked, and falling apart.

The ventilation is done right also.

Hi,

I seen the same thing 2 weeks ago.

Post subject: Re: IKO shingles???? Need advice.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:58 pm 

HAMMERHEAD wrote:
My roofer wants to use IKO shingles. I've read several negative reviews of these shingles. Any advice ? I live in the Mid-West, just outside of St. Louis, Mo. So you have temperatures on both ends of the extremes. What brand would you recommend? I was looking for architectural fiberglass, 30+ years.
Thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

Just to update. The first time I talked to the roofer, He stated, that OC Durations were the only way to go,and I was fine with that. Just to verify, I called him to make sure the shingles were on order. And he changed the order to IKO's. I asked why the change to IKO and he told me that the IKO's were the only way to go and OC Durations were one of the worst/cheapest shingles out there. I asked if he'd had long term experience with the Iko's and he just says, If you don't know what you want, I'll cancell the whole order and hangs up on me.
Well, back to the roofer search. Small house $4000, I think I have the right to ask afew questions and not be hung up on. Anyway, THANKS for the replies.

As I've said elsewhere in this forum, we use IKO on nearly a daily basis. The Iko products we use are the Cambridge 30 and Cambridge 30AR, Roofshake 40, Cambridge LT, and the Armourshake, all coming out of Sumas, WA. No problems to date, outside of the badmouthing by other contractors that have never used it, either because they can't get it from their supplier, or prefer to push an extended warranty from GAF/ELK or CertainTeed (both great products).

The OC Duration is a great shingle as well, we have used them on occasion. The only reservation that I have about the OC Duration is the solid sealdown strip which I feel may trap condensation that forms on the back side of the shingle and may eventually lead to a problem. This reservation would not lead me to recommend against the Duration should one of my customers request it, and I would recommend it over the Oakridge shingle because it has an AR (algae resistant) feature.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:23 pm 

Liked posts: 27 times
I was on a ten year old IKO three tab "forget what the hell they called them" and of course they are shot and are curling and falling off the roof. we will be replacing it with either a GAF Timberline or maybee a Certainteed Landmark. All the local lumber yards got rid of the IKOs one in particular put palletts of them out in the street with a sign that saif FREE. Now they stock only GAF and Certainteed although BP can still be found.