» How do i become GAF certified??

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Post subject: How do i become GAF certified??
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:55 am 

Post liked: 31 times
Liked posts: 10 times
I would like to become certified by a shingle manufacture preferably certienteed ,I know GAF has this program .In my area there is only one roofing company that is GAF certified.So this would probally help business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:15 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
Just go to their website and click on the neccesary link. Plug in your info and they'll contact you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:27 am 

Post liked: 1 time
you then have to show them insurance and comp on your men. and they will inspect a few of your roofs then you should be in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:22 pm 

Liked posts: 27 times
$

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:26 pm 

Liked posts: 2 times
I think that GAF charges a pretty hefty fee to get their approved certification, plus you have to commit to buying a certain quantity of their shingles.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:24 pm 

Liked posts: 9 times
ed the roofer wrote:
I think that GAF charges a pretty hefty fee to get their approved certification, plus you have to commit to buying a certain quantity of their shingles.

Ed

there are no shingle commitments. i have been master elite for years. it just goes without saying, if you get certified with a specific brand then you will probably use thier product. You will have to register a certain amount of warranties per year, or at least make an effort.

Contact your supply house salesman and have him hook you up with the territory manager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:31 pm 

Liked posts: 2 times
You are the one I was hoping to hear back from Marshall, so thanks.

Now, is their a "Buy In" fee or a Test from them or what.

Let me know their procedures please.

I will contact the supplier to hook me up this week also, but that process gets dragged out sometimes.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:44 am 

Liked posts: 13 times
The Certainteed tests are easy and if you get all the Wizard questions right you get a polo shirt. The biggest problem is they are white and get dirty really easy. The Roofing Advisory Counsil polo is a lot nicer as it's dark blue. Not only got the polo but also a nice dinner compliments of CT. Also got two hats for passing the two book tests, a black and a blue hat.

If any contractors get an invite to the advisory meeting go for sure.

Certainteed gives me a lot of free stuff including a Visa debit card through it's show me the money program. In the past three years they've loaded thousands of dollars on the card. Plus they have landed me jobs through there locate a contractor program.

Is the GAF Master Elite full membership $7,500 per year? OUCH! Count me out. As a matter of fact would rather be hooked up in a program with Owens Corning or Tamko before GAFELK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:56 am 

Post liked: 31 times
Liked posts: 10 times
i signed up for certainteed waiting on the books and test look foward to it. I prefer CT anyway. so you pay GAF to get certified Certainteed's is free and they pay you to sell their shingles it's a no brainer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:53 pm 

you get reimbursed the $7500 between GAF bucks & prepaid warranty vouchers. GAF sends me checks. its exactly the same as show me the money (who actually owes me a few thousand in rebates and it miraculously disappeared from their system). its the same program....pay me now or pay me later....same thing. GAFs non pro rated warranty is higher and their marketing tools are easier to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:21 pm 

Liked posts: 13 times
You can take the Certainteed test online and a friend of mine said you can still take the MSA8 test. More than likely CT will send you the MSA9 book which is very little changed from the MSA8.

Last year I spent $2,000 in CT warranties and got $2,000 in free warranties. They didn't have great rebates with the Show me the Money progam so only got about $1,000.

Right now you can get $5 per roll back with Winterguard with either short or long rolls and 50 cents a bundle for Swift Start. What I don't understand is they offer $1 a square for Landmark Plus, $2 a square for Landmark Premium but nothing for Landmark TL.

Yesterday ran short on Winterguard and had to go to Home Depot and all they had was the GAFELK ice and water shield. The installers yelled at me for bringing "garbage" to the job site but told them it was all I could get on a Sunday. They understood and luckily had two boards for them were the GAFELK product was. A lot more money than the Winterguard too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:02 pm 

write them a big check and you are in....CT program is free and they only ask you to sit for some education..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:03 pm 

nothing is free!!! GAF you pay up front...CT you pay as you go. But you still pay :wink:

Post subject: Preferred Contractor Programs...
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:52 am 

Post liked: 2 times
Can anyone offer a quick reply as to the requirements for Certainteed Master Shingle Installer? Ie: Insurance, Revenue, Sales, Years in business, ect... I am currently out of pocket on my BB and I can't pull up the link on their website...

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this post from GAF to Certainteed but hopefully this will help more than just myself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:15 pm 

take an online test...thats it. my wife is a master shingle applicator...shes never been on a roof. :?