» Hourly Rate

Post subject: Hourly Rate
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:21 pm 

Post liked: 25 times
Liked posts: 63 times
I was looking through some recents ads posted on craigslist and other job forums and it seems like they all offer really low wages. Most of them are 15 dollars an hour straight, meaning no piece work pay scale. Maybe my pay scale is a little too high, but since I have found good help, I like to pay them what the deserve.

Although its a personal business question, I am wondering what you guys are paying your employees. Is it straight hourly, straight piece work, a mixture of both?

I do both hourly and piece work. First time laborers I start at 12 until I get a sense of how hard the work and how comfortable they are doing things and then the pay scale increases from there. Then once they know enough to be able to completly tear off and prep/felt a side properly, I bump them up until 15 and keep them awhile until they can be left alone to shingle and will have no questions. Then I pay piece work starting at 18 a sq and it progresses based on pitch and shingle type up to 30 a sq.

Since I do siding, the hourly rate does make a big difference. Once a guy can be left alone to do all the services I offer, I pay them 18 hourly but I need to feel comfortable leaving them alone all day. The highest paid guy is at 24 hourly, but I can basically give him an address and all will be well.

Do you guys think my pay scale is to high/low/fair? I am trying to revamp and change a few things that I think need some attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:43 pm 

Post liked: 124 times
Liked posts: 64 times
$150-200 per man, per day for nailers, depending on experience and how many sq per day they lay.

clean up guys get $100 a day.

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:38 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
I think your pay is right on BAM. I am at a point where all my guys are subs being paid by the square or by the day. Usually $ 200 per day will do. My service guy is hourly at $ 22.00.Things are always changing.Having a guy you can send out and run service and small job leads is critical.I have become that guy again recently because I had to let someone go.Having plenty of work makes it easier to establish a good rate for a Roofing and Siding mechanic.When we are on the slower side I start to resent my more expensive help.Im working on it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:43 pm 

I'm pretty much with agape.
If I had a guy I could give an address and all would be well, he would easily be worth 24.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:39 am 

Up here in Calgary, we get pretty good rates, so I look after my guys to keep them around if there good. My main shingler whos been with me for 2.5 years gets 32 per hour plus 9.6% vac pay. A hard working labourer get 20 per hour and other shinglers get 24 - 28 per hour.