» Grace vs Certainteed

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Post subject: Grace vs Certainteed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:44 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
I am in process of having a standing seam roof installed on my home with 1/12 and 2/12 pitches. The contract specifies using Grace Ice & Water Shield HT over the entire roof deck.

I've done a lot of research on this subject but just can't find definitive information. It seems most opinions regard the Grace products as superior (why it was spec'ed in the first place), but at twice the cost. My contractor insists that although the non-high temp versions of each vary widely in price, the high temperature versions of each are virtually the same cost.

What do you pros out there pay for Grace Ice & Water Shield HT and Certanteed Wintergard HT? Is the Grace HT better than Certainteed's HT? Is the price difference similar for the high temp versions as well? Am I being taken for a ride?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:46 pm 

Liked posts: 4 times
My preference is the Grace product, but, why are you putting ice and water shield on in the first place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:23 pm 

The underlayment is just for extra protection. I realize it is considered a crutch by many but this house has been plagued by leaks over the years and perhaps it will let me sleep better at night.

Do you use the high temp Grace? Simply for performance characteristics? How does the cost compare to Wintergard HT? What would you pay your supplier for each product up in Chardon? Beautiful area, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:12 pm 

Post liked: 17 times
Liked posts: 181 times
Typically there are several brands of HT Ice and Water barrier I don't mind using, depending...

Something like standing seam? Any quality HT barrier should do just fine. Grace's big draw for me as a professional is that it is much more pliable. I would not use anything else for underlayment in high detail applications like a build in gutter.

I admit that I think it is a better product for more reasons than just that but for normal, low detail applications it is not worth the cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:20 pm 

Tar Monkey, what is a typical price for Grace IWS HT? How does that compare to Wintergard HT in your area? Feel free to PM me if you aren't comfortable discussing costs in this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:43 pm 

Liked posts: 181 times
Prices may vary from region to region but we pay around 130.00 for a 2sq roll of "normal" quality HT barrier while the Grace Ultra is sitting around 240ish for the same size roll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:26 pm 

Any idea about the cost of Grace Ice & Water Shield HT? I beleive it is a different product than the Grace Ultra. Do the "normal HT" products you refer to include Certainteed's Wintergard HT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 pm 

Liked posts: 42 times
Just out of curiousity, why did the contract state high temp i&w shield? Ive used it under slate but not on metal roofing decks & Ohio isnt like your in Florida? I know OH gets hot too, I go to my inlaws in New Phili a couple times a yr. but you shouldnt need high temp. If thats what you paid for you should be getting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:33 pm 

Liked posts: 8 times
Absolutely use HT ice & water under the entire roof on those slopes , with standing seam I only will use Grace. Make certain that the metal you are getting can be used on those pitches. Most of the standing seam we have used here can only be used on 3/12 or steeper slopes. Grace is the best , others are cheaper .

Post subject: Be careful
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:52 am 

Grace is by far the best product for this application and most standing seam manufacturers REQUIRE High Temp because these metal roofs get HOT!

But also be very careful on the installation method and panels he is using The only way to do this properly is with a walk behind seamer that bonds the seams together, try to do this with snap panels or the like and it will eak like a sive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:43 am 

No doubt, grace products are the best.You can go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:42 pm 

corry, oldman, Acubis and seoforu,

To answer your concerns...Yes, hi temp underlayment is required under the metal around here..the manufacturer is signing off on the warranty for my pitch roof...the panels are double lock, mechanically crimped with an integral sealant...and I do think Grace is the best, that's why I had it spec'ed in the contract.

Now my question--what is the cost difference of Grace IWS HT vs Certainteed Wintergard HT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

Liked posts: 74 times
Use MFM Wind & Water.....high temp without paying the premium for Grace and it is slip resistant.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:30 pm 

Grace is about 60 cents per sq. ft. more than Winterguard HT.

My advice is, unless you have top notch ventilation both under the I&W and under the SS metal, and experienced professional installers, go with a low slope roofing product designed for the roof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:54 pm 

Thanks Dennis, that;s the kind of info I'm looking for. Can you tell me if that extra sixty cents per foot translates to the Grace HT costing twice as much as the Wintergard HT, as it seems to be with the non high temp versions?

And why not the standing seam? It seems to me the metal, with the manufacturer's performance warranty, would be the perfect solution for my problem plagued roof.