» GAF certification program?

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing Business Talk Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:54 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
GAF will stand behind the complete roof with labor and materials only with the Golden Pledge warranty. Your company has to be a Master Elite contractor to offer this. 13 years full coverage with 30 and 40 year shingles. With lifetime shingles they offer coverage for 18 years. The contractor has to offer there own workmanship warranty for the first 2 years then GAF picks it up. The contractors warranty supercedes the GAF warranty. It is my understanding from other Master Elite contractors around the country if there is a claim GAF will pick the roof apart and potentialy begin a finger pointing process. The post job inspection is 15 minutes compared to a claim Golden Pledge inspection that could last 2 or more hours involving at least 2 people. My company is a Master Elite company and this status is a complete joke to get. It is even easier than Certainteeds certification process. Yes, with GAF you have to meet with the rep to do the exam in the pro field guide but he gives you and your men the answers, and the whole process thke about 2 hours. Yes, my wife to is a Master Elite certified installer never being on a roof. With Certainteed you at least have to look in the book for the answers and you may learn something.

The GAF certification process is more geared toward money. The new criteria this year is 5 Golden pledge warranties and 60 system plus warranties or the equal to $4200. Add that with the $2500 a year enrollment fees and your looking at around $7000 a year. Yes they have sales and marketing tools but they are minor league or ok for the guy getting off the roof and learning to becoming a business man. Be careful advertising a manufactures certification because many of your competitors will and that tends to level the playing field in a homeowners eyes and price can become the only issue. In my experience only 1% of the homeowners I met with know what a GAF ,ELK of Certainteed certification status is let alone the certain levels. It can be a pain in the ass to sell it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:06 pm 

im up for all these regalations and requirments.
Were are in the construction bis so why dont we act like it.
A framer cant just get away with crap work so why should we.
This roofing industry has to grow up na d act more professional.
Im sick of crappy installer making the good roofers look bad.
Im all up for all safety requirments and inspections of all the sort.
Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:37 pm 

well then i guess the masters get the same stuff that the non-masters do then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:37 pm 

well then i guess the masters get the same stuff that the non-masters do then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:51 pm 

Liked posts: 27 times
Not really a M.E. can offer warranties through GAF that you can not. We get leads and support through GAF as well, It is only intended for the best installers in a given area. That said I am disappointed in the amout of contractors they have signed up in my state some of them are not very ethical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:10 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 9 times
abraham lincoln wrote:
My company is a Master Elite company and this status is a complete joke to get.

i heard through the grape vine you went back to certainteed, so i assume by your response this is true. i didnt know my cousin kevin was your salesman. tell him i said hi. i actually have been reffering you to my leads. i would rather another company that actually charges accordingly bid against me rather than all the hacks around here. that way we justify each others price and may the best man win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:49 am 

Adam, it is not my intention to throw GAF under the bus, because they have an exceptional line of roofing products as does ELK and Certainteed. I am not a huge fan of IKO or O.C. My point is that manufactures credentials are way to easy to come by. I know for a fact that there is very little supervision by the manufactures reps to verify that roofing companies are putting out a quality product or are properly insured. GAF does not even require that the contractor is insured for roofing as long as you can produce a minimal certificate of insurance. You can be insured as a lawn service and that is acceptable. Yet they claim they are protecting the homeowner by making sure that ROOFING contractors are properly insured. Certainteed in the last 3 months have overhauled there certification process. No new company can enter no higher than a Shingle Master Company. Only after you can prove your worth (whatever that is) can you graduate to Select Shingle Roofer. Also you can not hold dual credentials with other companies unless you are grandfathered in. Now if you are certified with Certainteed and you seek out another companies credentials they will drop you. Jay Butch with Certainteed is on a mission to overhaul the program. I know of a Master Elite contractor in the Rochester NY market that sub contracts out all the work to $#@! help and has numerous call backs and consumer complaints in the last 2 years. They are a complete disgrace to other Master Elites and should be dropped by the GAF program but they do a large volume so I guess money talks. I don't want to be compared to this guy but I guess I am if I sell my Mater Elite status like he does.

The difference between GAF/ELK and Certainteed is territory rights and enrollment costs. My roofing franchise is in several different markets and my Master Elite status does not carry over not even to Syracuse so that is part of my decision to change. In south Florida we are not a Master Elite because it can't carry out of the market you begin in unless you qualify it seprately (pain in the ass). With Certainteed your status is good in all 50 states in case you want to chase storms or branch out. With Certainteed your Select Shingle status is free where GAF costs you $2500 a year plus the warranty requirements.

Manufactures cerdentials are not a major part of my company but my complaint is that an inferior company can say they are just as good as you because GAF or Certainteed said so. The bar is set to low. Because of this I don't use it as a sales tool. I sell my company not GAF or Certainteed. If you look at there sales tools it is all about them not you.Like I said before be careful marketing a manufactures credentials because if your competion is you may be considered equal in a homeowners eyes and price becomes the only factor. Any manufactures are to easy to get including Master Elite. Those who think it is reserved for the best companies are mistaken. Many of the best companies have a strong referal base and reputation and don't even bother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:18 am 

Post liked: 32 times
I think I have learned a LOT more in this thread than I have in any other I can remember.

Does anyone have info on the Atlas program? I can't find a link to it on their site, however I would assume it's going to be somewhat similar to GAF & CertainTeed?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dripping- ... 093?ref=ts

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:09 am 

Post liked: 1 time
i thought ATLAS went out of bussiness. or maybe they just went out of my area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:13 am 

Atlas is right up there with IKO. They are not around here anymore either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:34 pm 

Post liked: 12 times
Liked posts: 12 times
Its how big of a check you want to write. All are truely useless IMO.

More than willing to help anyone that needs help. IF you want to E-mail me monsterroofing@comcast.net and i will get back with you or you can email me at helpforroofing@comcast.net@comcast.net. be more than helping anyone that need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:17 am 

With Select Shingle I offer or give some customers the 4 Star Warranty. I don't push anything on them for 3 reasons:
1) I need to sell my business, not CT's
2) They really don't understand during the selling process. Not really. I usually mention a better warranty I can give, hand them the brochure and leave it at that
3) If everyone has it, then it again becomes about price. But I don't think there are too many in my area that do have Select Shingle Credentials.

Post subject: Re: GAF certification program?
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:03 am 

ldk contracting wrote:
Is it true that if say I am GAF certified GAF will stand behind the installation and cover the labor and materials to make any necessary repairs, since I'm GAF certified?

I don't care what the master Elite guy tells you. I have been GAF Certified for years and yes they will pay for a roof under material failure for the whole system on a system plus warranty.You better be using all of the minimal system components required and no shortcut nailing. All master elite means is that you have satisfied GAF by spending in excess of $5000 for pre purchased warranties in a system plus format and you can offer the 20 year Golden Pledge for a nominal fee of course and it is factory inspected. I have only sold 1 Golden pledge warranty in the south. Most people could care less about that warranty unless they are going to live in the home till they die. However the System Plus is a powerful sales tool to get just a little bit more money on the project and it does offer a 20 year non prorated period on a 25 year and up shingle. I can sell both types of warranties and usually offer them up at the same time. www.jvhenterprises.org

Douglasville,Georgia, 30134
770-577-9758

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:07 am 

dude, this thread is three years old.

Post subject: Re: GAF certification program?
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:36 am 

jvhamby5 wrote:
ldk contracting wrote:
Is it true that if say I am GAF certified GAF will stand behind the installation and cover the labor and materials to make any necessary repairs, since I'm GAF certified?

I don't care what the master Elite guy tells you. I have been GAF Certified for years and yes they will pay for a roof under material failure for the whole system on a system plus warranty.You better be using all of the minimal system components required and no shortcut nailing. All master elite means is that you have satisfied GAF by spending in excess of $5000 for pre purchased warranties in a system plus format and you can offer the 20 year Golden Pledge for a nominal fee of course and it is factory inspected. I have only sold 1 Golden pledge warranty in the south. Most people could care less about that warranty unless they are going to live in the home till they die. However the System Plus is a powerful sales tool to get just a little bit more money on the project and it does offer a 20 year non prorated period on a 25 year and up shingle. I can sell both types of warranties and usually offer them up at the same time. www.jvhenterprises.org

I might add that I have been a roofer for 20 years and selling me is the primary objective

Douglasville,Georgia, 30134
770-577-9758