» Drip Edge

Post subject: Drip Edge
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:40 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
Hello, I am replacing my 13 year old shingle roof. The roofer I am using told me I do not need to replace my drip edge to save money. I am not sure if I should replace it or not. I would like to know if I do not replace the drip edge, how is the installation of the new underlayment because on a new roof the underlayment is installed under the drip edge. I would like to know if water with heavy rain would be able to get under the shingles and rot the edge of plywood.

Please help.

Post subject: Re: Drip Edge
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:18 pm 

Post liked: 117 times
Liked posts: 77 times
if your re-roofing you would be better off changing them, it wouldnt be that much difference in price, (around here anyways)then they would be installed RIGHT.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:01 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 35 times
You have drip edge now? Then go ahead a replace it!

Why?

1. If you leave the old....it will look odd and ungly with the new roof.
2. If you have existing galvanized, replace it with matching color drip edge.
3. If you tear out the old (and don't replace)...then it will look again odd and ugly.....AND....if the leading edge of the plywood is exposed ....then it will look REALLY ugly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:07 pm 

I have purchase it with the Titanium underlayment and ice & Water for valley, but the roofer told be to take it back to save money, but for a box of it for $175.00 I think it is best to replace it and like you all told me it will all be new. I feel better knowing that the edge drip is above the underlayment and not on top.

Thanks, Again All.
Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:46 pm 

Post liked: 115 times
Liked posts: 26 times
Most of the time i replace the eve drip. Sometimes a customer will have some eave metal painted in a color that the stock colors will not match. Sometimes they just had their house painted and they really like the exact color scheme that it is. In these instances we save the drip. If it is a 6/12 or above, i dont see any problem installing the felt over the drip as long as the existing felt is still underneath the metal. If it was a pitch lower than 6/12 , than i would install a bead of roofing cement 4 to 6 inches wide depending on the pitch and then install your new underlayment on top.

If the house looks better with the existing - than leave it on.
If i can make the house look better with it new- i replace it.
Since i know i can make the house look better and i almost always disagree with the color choice of the existing eve- it gets replaced.

Early in my career, when i didnt know what colors make a house look fantastic, i would be more in favor of saving the money. But now i realize that my beautiful roofs bring me more work and make the homeowner happy for years to come.

Please note though that 26 guage painted steel Will last 50 years plus.
But If its near the beach--around 20 years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:45 am 

Post liked: 334 times
Liked posts: 366 times
Geez,,,,,,Sounds like your contractor might be looking out for your best interest.That Drip is compared to gold and fine linens these days.With the money he is saving you,it might be possible for that cruise to italy you have always wanted to take.Or more like a couple of pork steaks a can of corn and a bottle of 30 dime wine.(Boones Farm Strawberry Hill)

Why waste time and effort to do a reroof and reuse anything,,,,,sorta takes the meaning of a new roof out of the picture.IMHO

When the neighbor comes by to yak,,,,,he can say hey nice roof.You can say yep all except the drip edge.

Its not saving you money as much as it is saving him time and effort.

Besides if you are buying the materials then he must be a labor only contractor.That is generally the "You get what you pay for" scenario.And no not all contractors who do work as labor only are knuckleheads.....Just the ones who convince or try to convince the customer to reuse something he is being payed to remove and replace.IMHO

2 users likes this :
HedgesHI (Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:05 am), Pro417 (Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:15 pm)
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:45 pm 

Post liked: 259 times
Liked posts: 238 times
Drip edge is a standard item in my area, everybody uses it.
I wouldn't hire a roofer that suggested reusing drip edge, unless it was expensive (copper) or unique in some way.

A user likes this :
Pro417 (Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:15 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:34 pm 

Post liked: 115 times
Liked posts: 26 times
I would really like to help you out more by knowing what your house looks like and what color eve drip you bought. I probably would be suggesting to you to bring back the evedrip only to pick it back up in another color. It would suck to replace evedrip with other ugly evedrip..

Galvanized unpainted drip is ugly as sin and only looks good on a unpainted metal roof.
White evedrip is also ugly as sin and every cobweb, and black streaks will show up on the drip almost immediately. You will have to pressure wash this edge every year to keep your house looking good.
White evedrip Never makes a house look good, even on its first day. Never. Dull, ugly house and needing pressure washing for eternity.
I insist on the fascial and drip to be two totally contrasting colors.
I do consider myself an exterior designer.
Post a pic of your house showing the color scheme of it.
If you have already ordered the shingles and they are on your roof already, please tell us the brand and color shingle you have chosen. I would be happy to give you my opinion for the drip color scheme.
Darker evedrip gets the cobwebs, oils and streaks too... but you never see it. It almost never needs to be cleaned and looks as good as the day it was installed 20 years from now.
It also bolds your house out, just like shutters do. Most people put shutters on for looks, not for window protection. I can make your home look beautifull.
Please dont replace ugly drip with ugly drip.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:04 pm 

I understand it might be a way to keep the cost down, but come on at most for new aluminum drip is 5$ a stick. Total to replace it all less than 100$ more than likely, just lazy if you ask me. Old drip on a new job, hell I'll eat that cost , just have him replace it you will be happy you did later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:17 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 35 times
Dont use the galvanized or aluminum drip edge...everytime i see this....it is the homeowner that installs it

Go with a colored baked on enamel finish...standard colors ar black, dark brown, and white.... cost more if you have special colors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:51 pm 

Post liked: 334 times
Liked posts: 366 times
roof-lover wrote:
Please dont replace ugly drip with ugly drip.

I hear the sincerity in your post and I am teared up.Searching for my Puffs as we speak.Just playing.

Buddy you should be smokin swamped.....Some tornados and straightline winds with some hail!!!!! You are in Roofers heaven.I got 2 calls from previous customers in Orlando.,,not sure what to do at this point.I need more calls to justify travel and licensing.

It might be a good idea anyway because it is predicted from N.O.O.A that Florida will see a heavy hurricane season.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:27 pm 

Post liked: 4 times
Liked posts: 2 times
Hi Jeff,

To be sure i understand corectly...

You are paying for the materials including the drip edge?
Your contractor is labor only on price?

My questions are how much DID or IS your contractor taking off of his labor cost to you for not installing your new drip edge? Also did you hire this contractor because he was labor only? Was it your choice to hire a labor only contractor and you supply the material?

IMHO
Drip edge is part of the ROOF SYSTEM. If you want a new ROOF SYSTEM then install new drip edge. if you don't care about the looks and possibly the performance of your roof then keep your old drip edge and reuse it. You are spending thousands on a new roof, what is an extra 100 dollars to be sure it looks nice and ensure it's done properly. if it was your contractor who chose not to buy the material I would be leary espcially when he wants to be lazy and install new drip edge. if you wanted to supply the material with thoughts of saving money... you aren't saving much if any. You can easily find a contractor who has the means to provide materials for the same or better price than you are paying for them. Not all contractors but most who don't supply materials can't supply materials because they are financially unstable and don't have credit with suppliers. IMO That is a huge red flag. I get a bad feeling about this based on the limited information due to the fact that you are supplying the material and your contractor is telling you not use it when it isn't even at his expense. That just sounds lazy to me. So what else does he want to possibly not do correct or not include or not use? it would be interesting to have more facts on this situation. It would also be valuable to you to help avoid a potential disaster on your new roof and pocket book.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:49 pm 

General rule of thumb I follow is:
If drip edge is installed already I will replace it.
If its not installed I wont install it because it looks terrible imo. Drip edge is for installing a lay over. It does not prevent ice dams in the winter and if your over hang is done correctly on the rakes you wont have issues with wind driven rain. I personally hate when customers ask for it because the salesman from xyz roofing company said it is an essential part of the job. Someone has to agree with me on this?!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:12 pm 

Post liked: 117 times
Liked posts: 77 times
Dripedge and rake edge IMO looks good, gives a nice clean straight look. (when done rite)

Profile Personal album