» Do Ridge Vents Actually Work?

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Post subject: Do Ridge Vents Actually Work?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Post liked: 15 times
Liked posts: 65 times
The attached link claims that ridge vents don't work. What do you think? Any manufacturers interested in commenting?
http://www.savenrg.com/venting.htm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:45 pm 

Post liked: 12 times
Liked posts: 12 times
I guess they have never smoke tested a home properly ventilated with ridge vent and soffit vents.

More than willing to help anyone that needs help. IF you want to E-mail me monsterroofing@comcast.net and i will get back with you or you can email me at helpforroofing@comcast.net@comcast.net. be more than helping anyone that need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:41 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 4 times
Actually it's an interesting idea. The thermal check valve.

I can say that when removing a ridge vent, you will feel a lot more hot air escaping the attic from the cut ridge, than with the ridge vent installed. IMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:06 am 

Post liked: 11 times
Liked posts: 152 times
"I can say that when removing a ridge vent, you will feel a lot more hot air escaping the attic from the cut ridge, than with the ridge vent installed. IMO"

It's not your opinion, it's a fact. I don't get the point though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:00 am 

Liked posts: 0 time
"I can say that when removing a ridge vent, you will feel a lot more hot air escaping the attic from the cut ridge, than with the ridge vent installed. IMO"

I think his point would be that, although the ridge vent does work, that it does not work well enough.
Maybe you could ventilate more air if you had a bigger vent, such as some dormer vents, up at the ridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:40 pm 

You should rip the muffler off your car because it restricts exhaust flow...

While I'm sure running those ugly ass dormer vents on either side of the ridge every 3 feet might allow better airflow than standard low profile ridge vent I wouldn't want that crap on my house, it looks like hell. Why not run chicken wire for soffit vents and hang a jet engine in the attic for exhaust?! You have to maintain a balance between efficiency and aesthetics. This ridge vent discussion is becoming like a tiring theological debate now... Of course it works.

Last edited by Tar Monkey on Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:33 pm 

Wait...I got it!!!!!!

Yeah. Behold the new standard of ventilation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:20 pm 

Yeah, tarmonkey, that is my kind of gable exhaust vent!

Look, the guy on the savenrg web site measured the temp in an attic. The attic had soffit vents and a ridge vent. Then he added those ugly dormer vents up top, for added exhaust vents, and the temp dropped 40 degrees.
I am intrigued by the idea of increasing the roof ventilation, that's all. The guy at savenrg makes a good case. He sounds believable, I don't know why he would make it up, since he says that you can buy the same dormer vents at Home Depot.
So, if there is a better way to ventilate an attic, without using a fan powered device, I am going to look into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:54 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 9 times
i am working on this one right now...vent problem solved

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:13 pm 

"So, if there is a better way to ventilate an attic, without using a fan powered device, I am going to look into it."

I hear ya. As I said though, you're trying to achive a balance between functionality and something that is pleasing to the eye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:16 am 

You guys are funny....

Does ridge vent work?

Does it hurt when you fall off?

Ive never installed a shingle roof with out it!

Cant wait to see the next topic of humor~

LR

23 YEARS

Post subject: Hot air rises?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:27 am 

[color=blue][/color]If that's the case, this thread is quite buoyant, enough for a balloon, a basket and six people.
If you are talking physics, well, that's not conjecture or opinions, but fact based on real science. Most of this thread is opinions, but based on what? Tradition? What looks good? What creates the fewest callbacks? Every roof penetration carries with it the potential for a leak. The probability of which is dictated solely by the level of attention that was given putting it in.
Basic facts: Builders will kill to save $10/house. Adds up if you're doing doing 2,000 houses. So? So low bidder gets the job. You think Jose' and hose B who just got hired to put vents in a roof really care about anything but their paycheck they are going to send to Mexico on Friday? So, the builder specs a ridgevent, cheaper the better.
Now comes the physics: "heat rises" is incorrect. Fluids (air/liquid/gases), rise via convection. Hot air will not reverse direction and flow downhill to escape a hot attic...out of any vent.

Post subject: Re: Hot air rises?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:07 pm 

Post liked: 22 times
Liked posts: 16 times
ayev8tor wrote:
If that's the case, this thread is quite buoyant, enough for a balloon, a basket and six people.
If you are talking physics, well, that's not conjecture or opinions, but fact based on real science. Most of this thread is opinions, but based on what? Tradition? What looks good? What creates the fewest callbacks? Every roof penetration carries with it the potential for a leak. The probability of which is dictated solely by the level of attention that was given putting it in.
Basic facts: Builders will kill to save $10/house. Adds up if you're doing doing 2,000 houses. So? So low bidder gets the job. You think Jose' and hose B who just got hired to put vents in a roof really care about anything but their paycheck they are going to send to Mexico on Friday? So, the builder specs a ridgevent, cheaper the better.
Now comes the physics: "heat rises" is incorrect. Fluids (air/liquid/gases), rise via convection. Hot air will not reverse direction and flow downhill to escape a hot attic...out of any vent.

All the prejudicial bashing aside, I guess you are saying that a ridge vent does not work? Apparently, you contend that water can indeed go uphill. I agree that water can rise 1" per 10 MPH wind on a 6 pitch. I know that water enters many ridge vents that I have inspected, as the cause of leaks. I also agree that air has a hard time going back down the ridge vent.

I resist ridge vents for those reasons, and the ranting aside, I see no reason given on this thread yet to use them. Aesthetics, really...? Paint the turbines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:13 am 

Liked posts: 27 times
somtimes they dont work well on a house with choped up dormers and things. a power vent with thermostat and humidistat is the best for many situations. ventilation is a lot of thery, kinda like global warming right ? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:01 pm 

Liked posts: 5 times
All I know is I have 3.5 inches of open-cell foam on the underside of my roof deck and my attic stays relatively cool in the hot Houston summers! Plus, I saved $130 bucks on my electric bill over last June's bill. I left all my vents open, so moisture can vent out and to provide breathable air for my hot water heater and furnace in my attic (it's a Texas thing).