» Do 50 year shingles really last 50 years

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Post subject: Do 50 year shingles really last 50 years
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:39 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
I have two quotes to do my roof that I am considering, just to let you know, I live near Ottawa Ontario and my house is 16 years old and the roof has a 4:12 pitch.

The first one is using a 30 year IKO Cambridge shingle and is putting three rows of ice and water shield for $5200 and the other one is using 50 year IKO Cambridge shingles and two rows of ice and water shield for $7000. The price is not really a factor but I also do not want to spend the extra money on the 50 year shingle quote it is not worth it. I am 39 and I will be living in the house until I kick it so that is why I am considering the 50 year shingles. The contractor with the 30 year shingle quote says that he does not know of a house where shingles have lasted more that 25 years so paying the extra money to go to the 50 year is a waste.

Just to let you know about the area, in the winter the temp. can get to be about -35 degrees Celsius and can go to +35 degrees Celsius in the summer.

Some opinions would be appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:02 pm 

Liked posts: 15 times
in tampa bay florida (extreme heat)
they do not last fifty years.

not even close.

put a good thirty year on.

gweedo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:45 pm 

Post liked: 12 times
Liked posts: 12 times
Well first off an IKO shingle will never last 50 years no matter what temp it is outside. They are just a builders grade shingle and dont last very long at all.

More than willing to help anyone that needs help. IF you want to E-mail me monsterroofing@comcast.net and i will get back with you or you can email me at helpforroofing@comcast.net@comcast.net. be more than helping anyone that need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:50 pm 

gtp1003 wrote:
Well first off an IKO shingle will never last 50 years no matter what temp it is outside. They are just a builders grade shingle and dont last very long at all.

I agree, IKO's are the very worst on the market, in my opinion. I try to stay far, far away from them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:52 am 

I third that motion. IKO's are garbage.

Post subject: I Agree
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:09 am 

Liked posts: 1 time
A 25 yr three tab shingle would last longer than Iko use Tamko Gaf or OC are Better shingles you should get a manfauture warrant if they go buy the manfauture spec a 50yr will last longer than 30yr plus there thicker nicer looking gives you more shadow effect look and if they dont call a Rep from one of the shingles companys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:07 pm 

use anything but those IKO - you will regret it !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:36 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 9 times
a GAF or certainteed 50 year shingle will last 50 if properly ventilated. and if installed by a factory certified contractor you will get a 50 year warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:48 pm 

Hi,

bscrive is from Canada. IKO's are the shingle up there. The shingles you are suggesting are not availble there.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:38 pm 

Likley scenario:
30 yr shingle (NOT IKO) will last almost 25 yrs.
50 yr. shingle will last over 30.
Question is: Before you kick, do you want to re-roof two more times, or one more time?

And also, long lasting shingles will look crummy even though they will still be servicable, at least in the lower 48 where Algae, not global warming of course, will really wipe out the color in under 20 yrs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:51 pm 

Post liked: 32 times
Liked posts: 9 times
Twill beat me to it; you want to prevent the growth of algae with zinc strips run jus tunder the ridge cap (they are usually 2" wide x 50' long in one long run that can easily be snipped to length).

If you have a hip roof, the mfg's instructions say to put a 6" long piece about every few feet, but to me this would look kind of odd...

Another thing is that sthis should go on both sides of the ridge or hip cap if you want "true" protection from algae. One of the problems with algae is that it can prematurely age the shingles & over time, it really gets down into the base causing grit loss.

Here's a suggestion - get a package wrapper from some of these 50 year shingles, or @ least the mfg's brochure & see exactly what they list as exclusions to their warranty. Also, note where there is a sliding or pro rated scale of what they pay because even a 50 yr. product won't have 100% coverage.

Finally, your primary concern is to never have to re-roof again so don't look ONLY @ the shingles. Consider what can be done for the best & longest lasting form of:

-- Ventilation. Improper air flow = shortened shingle life.
-- Ridge cap if you have steep slopes & hip cap (as I like to tell my customers, most 30 year roofs only have 20 year seams)
-- Flashing, counterflashing, valley, etc. Why have a 'perfect' field but lousy termination joints? If you wanted to go all the way, you could always have the entire permiter & along valleys with some kind of a peel & stick product or other cold weather applications (I'm in Texas & we don't usually do much for this kind of issue here in the Hill Country).
-- Same goes for chimney flashings or any concrete to metal connections.

Also, pay attention to color - make sure it's something you'll like in 30 years!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dripping- ... 093?ref=ts

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:56 pm 

Actually, Lefty, you can get GAF in Canada. However, it's being sold by specialty places. The roofing supply stores up here (Roofmart) are owned by the same people that own IKO. In comparision to IKO shingles, the GAF are about 50% more expensive.

Bscribe, given your plans to live in that house for a while, it may be worth for you to explore alternatives such as metal. There are various styles and materials available (panels or shingles, steel or aluminum), and these almost always will give you a real "permanent" roof. Of course, since the quality of the install is determined by the installer, you need to find the best installer you can afford.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:45 am 

considering iko`s are worth nada,only 50% more for gaf timberline is a great deal,especially w/the fungus eater(good for 1st 10 yr.s at least,maybe longer) go ultras

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:40 pm 

Thanks to everyone that has replied.

The only shingles that the roofers use up here are IKO, GAF and BP.
BP is used by the installer for Home Depot but he wants $7000 for 25 year three tab - he is on drugs as far as I am concerned.
I found another installer that uses GAF but he wants $6200 for 25 year three tab, I asked about using their 40 year Timberline and he said it is $900 more. The guy struck me as a real moron and I did not like his "I know everything and you know nothing" attitude.
The installers that use IKO have been the best ones and one guy will not use anything else (he subs for a building centre up here so he will not substitute another product).
Also, after checking with the BBB the only guy who has a clean record is the one who gave me a quote for $5200 and uses IKO. I am going to see if he will use GAF and how much more it will be.
Thanks again for your knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:13 pm 

I have also looked into alternatives like metal sheeting - got a price of $14000 - holy crap was the words that came to mind considering I calculated the cost of the materials at $4500 tax incl. and I looked at metal shingles - got a price of $15000, way too expensive for me.