» Decra Roof

Post subject: Decra Roof
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:58 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
I am planning on building an addition. I'm assuming that I'll have to replace the entire roof to make it look consistent, even though there's nothing apparently wrong with the roof. (I have no idea how old it is, but I've owned the house for 7 years)

I assumed that I would just replace the roof with a similar asphalt shingle roof.

I stumbled across Decra roofing, stone coated steel roof.

I was unable to find any positive or negative reviews on Decra. There are bad reviews on Duraloc/Allmet, but it seems to be contained to just that one specific vendor.

I was told to expect a 30% premium over asphalt shingle for the Decra roof. That might be a good investment if this really is the "last rood I'll ever need".

Thanks for any help/insight.

Post subject: Re: Decra Roof
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:09 pm 

Post liked: 117 times
Liked posts: 77 times
I have heard nothing bad around here about Decra, unless installed wrong.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:35 pm 

Post liked: 124 times
Liked posts: 64 times
Vee wrote:
I am planning on building an addition. I'm assuming that I'll have to replace the entire roof to make it look consistent, even though there's nothing apparently wrong with the roof. (I have no idea how old it is, but I've owned the house for 7 years)

I assumed that I would just replace the roof with a similar asphalt shingle roof.

I stumbled across Decra roofing, stone coated steel roof.

I was unable to find any positive or negative reviews on Decra. There are bad reviews on Duraloc/Allmet, but it seems to be contained to just that one specific vendor.

I was told to expect a 30% premium over asphalt shingle for the Decra roof. That might be a good investment if this really is the "last rood I'll ever need".

Thanks for any help/insight.

if it was only a 30% increase, everyone would have it. its more like DOUBLE the price of an asphalt roof (or more, depending on your area) its probably the best looking, and best performing roofing system available anywhere. (besides natural slate) call around, and get some prices from a local reputable contractor that has done decra before. but dont expect it to be cheap. if they tell you it can be done for less than $5 a square foot, i would just hang up the phone. they should be in the $6-7 a sq ft range.

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:03 pm 

Thanks. I haven't gotten the budget estimate in just yet. If it matters at all, I'd be going with the least-expensive Decra roof that resembles shingles. I know they make the clay tile looking roofs as well...Don't know if that has much of an effect on price...

The contractor is the same guy who did my replacement windows and did a fantastic job with the install, so I'm kinda trusting his ability to install this roof. We'll see what the numbers say, perhaps he was mistaken.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:30 pm 

I install Decra at $750 to $1,100 a square (as of 2011), depending on the complexity or your roof. This is what it will cost to have someone do it right here in Colorado. Decra is a great product.

However, my opinion is that full weight concrete tile is a better product (do not use medium or light weight concrete), it is better looking, and if done properly, will last longer, be easier to maintain and repair, and have less chance for failure. Concrete tile is only 10% to 20% more expensive.... Just a personal preference, but if you can pay the extra dime, I would at least consider full weight concrete tile.

Last edited by coroofer on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:57 pm 

OK, I did get the pricing and it was just short of double the price of asphalt...it was 80% higher, in case anyone was interested.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:42 pm 

Decra has the worst customer service and staff. Steer clear if you expect any follow up. They are an overpriced system especially for anyone that is not located near any of their warehouses (ex. California or Texas); for some reason even if you are closer to Texas, they will ship from California, not sure till this day how that makes any sense. The shipping costs are enormous and the demand is just not there. If you want any clarification around installation guidance or costs per square for materials, DO NOT ask Decra employees as they are useless. They will not provide accurate information. I'm not quite sure how they are still in business. They are a small company that do not stand by their customers but even worse, they hire incompetent employees. Not worth the hassle or the costs of installing this system.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:55 pm 

Post liked: 309 times
Liked posts: 269 times
ModernRoofer wrote:
Decra has the worst customer service and staff. Steer clear if you expect any follow up. They are an overpriced system especially for anyone that is not located near any of their warehouses (ex. California or Texas); for some reason even if you are closer to Texas, they will ship from California, not sure till this day how that makes any sense. The shipping costs are enormous and the demand is just not there. If you want any clarification around installation guidance or costs per square for materials, DO NOT ask Decra employees as they are useless. They will not provide accurate information. I'm not quite sure how they are still in business. They are a small company that do not stand by their customers but even worse, they hire incompetent employees. Not worth the hassle or the costs of installing this system.

It looks pretty good when you are done, it's a royal PITA to install.

I had no problems getting the details I needed from the manufacturer.
What the manufacturer doesn't specify you can think your way through.

I have no idea how they stand by their product, what I installed looks great and is functioning perfectly, there is a little bit of algae starting on one of them I've noticed, I think it's been about 7 yrs on that one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:35 am 

Post liked: 9 times
Liked posts: 11 times
+1

It does look great but it is a Royal PITA to put down and is a Franklin Mint in materials.

The accessories are the killer too! You look at the price per square and you are kind of okay but then once you price out all the other stuff....wowsers.