» Damage during roofing

Post subject: Damage during roofing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:28 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
We hired a contractor to do our roof. He tore it off and although I mentioned concern about weather, he didnt cover it fully. The rainstorm started at about 1 am and when we woke up at 4 am it was raining inside the garage and attic. I called our contractor and he came and tarped the roof and covered the house but still said not to worry. I got lots of video of the rain coming in. He and the crew supposedly finished that day, but didnt secure flashing around vents and removed an existing ridge vent. He also drove 3 inch nails into the exposed soffit and left the gas hot water heater vent off, which took us a day to discover. I hired an inspector the following day and infrared showed water in every corner of the ceiling and down a couple of walls. I have had our insurance adjuster out an have called his, but I'm lost as to how I should proceed. Should we pay to have the attic dried out? How much water is worth worrying about? We can now see seams in the ceiling where the drywall is heavy, but don't see water stains. Our contractor said to never contact him again because he gave us a great roof. Don't want to be dramatic, but we are very concerned. Any advice would be helpful.

Post subject: Re: Damage during roofing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:06 am 

Post liked: 4 times
Liked posts: 39 times
any water is to much water. water is one of the elements that is required to grow mold. If I were you I would get the insurance company information from the contractor and attempt to have his insurance company pay for the damages. More then likely the contractor insurance company will fight you for it.
Your second option is to call your agent file a claim and have your insurance company subrogate against the contractors insurance company. You will have to initially have to pay your deductible but if the subrogation is successful your deductible or a portion of it will be refunded back to you. Keep in mind that the subrogation can be a lengthy process and will test your patience.

You have the documentation showing damage in the attic, walls, drywall. You will be surprised at the dollar amount of the restoration repairs. The longer you wait the more chances you have of more damages and you have a duty according to your insurance policy to mitigate your loss from further damage.

Good Luck

Post subject: Re: Damage during roofing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:21 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
Thank you. We will have servepro out tomorrow unfortunately his happened over holiday. Our insurance said they won't touch this. At least we have evidence for court.