» Copper over aluminum flashing

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Post subject: Copper over aluminum flashing
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:58 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
I'd like to install copper step flashing on my roof without removing the siding. The step flashing currently there is aluminum, and I understand that copper will eventually destroy any aluminum that it comes into contact with.

If I'm replacing all of the flashing, does it matter if some of the existing aluminum remains under the siding when I install the new copper flashing? Are there chemical reactions, other than the aluminum being destroyed, that I need to worry about?

Thanks,
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:23 am 

Liked posts: 5 times
Copper and Aluminum are too far apart on the anodic scale to use in contact with one another, but contact can be avoided with a coating or some kind of separator. In roofing, often times it is roofing cement that is used, but generally anything that will withstand the elements and keep the metals separate will work. In your case, it could be something as simple as a strip of roofing felt used to keep the metals from coming into contact with one another.

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Defini ... anic_Table

BTW, dogs save lives too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:38 pm 

So are you saying that something will happen to the copper as well as the aluminum? Because if it's just the aluminum I'm trying to save from corrosion, why would I care?

That said, roofing felt between the metals seems to be a good solution. Thanks.

Cerberus wrote:
BTW, dogs save lives too!

I agree. The login name is something I use to raise awareness. I'm from Chicago, where most people equate guns with murder, not protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:01 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 3 times
Why are you going with copper? You might be better removing some siding and installing 'taller' step tins. Do you think the current one are not just working right? Sometimes a better material does not mean a better product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:31 am 

This is what I'm replacing - I stopped the install when I saw this. It's also not cut into the mortar, which I've learned is the preferred method of flashing brick. I thought since I'm going to replace this myself, why not go with copper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:41 am 

Liked posts: 27 times
wow, thats awefull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:50 am 

Great thought! If you are going to caulk the flashing try to stay at the top of the joint with your grinding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:06 pm 

RooferJ wrote:
wow, thats awefull.

You should see some of their Hardie siding techniques :shock:

RooferR wrote:
Great thought! If you are going to caulk the flashing try to stay at the top of the joint with your grinding.

I was planning on cutting towards the bottom of the joint in order to create a small lip to hold the caulk in place. Bad idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:48 am 

There will be room for the caulking still. You can squeeze a little into the cut right before you pop each piece in. Don't forget to test fit as you go before pre-caulking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:54 am 

Proper installation is critical to any building product. These systems are not designed to leak. In many cases, going over the old shingles is fine. I would suggest looking into warranty coverage -- there may be some limitations for steel roofing in your area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:25 pm 

Post liked: 128 times
Liked posts: 33 times
There are many many ways to flash a wall.
And Many ways to counterflash a wall.
Everyone has their own opinion.
Everyone here would have a different custom way of doing it.

i think the only thing that was"horrible' was their color choice of the sealant.

I would have kept the total flashing height much closer to the roof and used a dark brown.
But looks like "someone" wanted the "copper penny" color.(bad choice)

personally, if you want me to break out the angle grinder, the charge for that wall alone would be something with 2 zeros behind it. Enjoy all the mortar/brick in your eyes, teeth, throat and lungs. You will live longer, i am sure of it. Enjoy!

Ps, Guns save lives more than dogs. Dogs are great too and should be used also(not in place of).
Glad to see you are raising awareness in a city where the second amendment and our constitution is despised by the majority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:53 am 

Post liked: 13 times
Liked posts: 28 times
[quote="roof-lover"]There are many many ways to flash a wall.

i think the only thing that was"horrible' was their color choice of the sealant.

I would have kept the total flashing height much closer to the roof and used a dark brown.

personally, if you want me to break out the angle grinder, the charge for that wall alone would be something with 2 zeros behind it. Enjoy all the mortar/brick in your eyes, teeth, throat and lungs. You will live longer, i am sure of it. Enjoy!
quote]

My number has 2 zeros behind it too, but I just wear a respirator and glasses. I bring them up when we tear off, set them on top of the chimney, and they're there when I need em :mrgreen:

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:32 am 

roof-lover wrote:
There are many many ways to flash a wall.

According to NRCA there are 3 recommended methods for brick counter flashing. This does not seem to be one of them.

roof-lover wrote:

Let's not overlook the caulked seam down the center of the flashing. Nice touch.

roof-lover wrote:

According to the manufacturer, the step flashing should be 10"x7" (they used 5"x7" :( ). The counter flashing is close to the proper height based on 10"x7" step flashing.

The Copper Penny was a terrible choice. It's my first roof replacement - live & learn.

roof-lover wrote:

If they would have even offered the option of doing it the right way, I would have spent the extra money.

I'm doing it myself now because after researching the subject, it really looks like a fun project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:07 pm 

Post liked: 128 times
Liked posts: 33 times
We appreciate your passion!
please post pics after you are done!
and tell us what you think and how it went.
How long it truely took you, and how much you would charge a complete stranger to do it on their home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:00 pm 

I am just about to start a similar project myself, though on a smaller scale; the roof over my front porch abuts a brick veneer. I picked up a tube of the ugly black FlashMate caulk with my roofing but will return it and use mortar instead. When I checked out copper flashing examples online all the good looking jobs ground out the joints and then tuck-pointed.

Is your roof steeply pitched? The flashing looks like the edge of a saw blade. Better save what you remove to use as a template - that would be an awfully expensive mistake if you mis-cut. BTW, I purchased my copper from stormcopper.com. Very fast delivery though the wider one of my rolls (for the counter flashing) is back ordered. You may also check out the finehomebuilding.com website for articles on flashing.

Good Luck!