» Certainteed VS. GAF

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page 1, 2  Next

Certainteed Vs. GAF which has overall better quality?
Certainteed 75%  75%  [ 18 ]
GAF 25%  25%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 24
  Post subject: Certainteed VS. GAF
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:48 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 0 time
I'm sure this topic has been brought up before but what are some opinions out there about which company manufacturers better quality materials, Certainteed or GAF? Not just shingles, but venting, underlayments, ice and water, etc. I'm a firm believer that Certainteed currently has much higher over all quality, but there's still plenty of guys installing GAF products. Is it just the price?

[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:26 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Certainteed. No question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:57 am 

Liked posts: 13 times
Certainteed, and I feel really bad today almost like a traitor.

Not only was I unable to attend the Shakopee, MN plant tour today but my excuse was because I had to work on a shake roof. At least the shakes are very high quality shakes. On a 6sq section today only 5 shakes had to be tossed out.

Last week bought a house with GAF Timberlines with hail and wind damage. Torn between which Landmark TL shingle color to pick. My rep told me he would give me a very sizable discount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:38 pm 

Liked posts: 1 time
Certainteeds for me. Higher quaility shingles. Better ethics.

Post subject: Certainteed Plant Tour
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:39 pm 

We toured the Norwood Mass Certainteed plant last year. It's quite a process. If you haven't toured a plant and you get a chance to, I strongly recommend it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:10 pm 

Liked posts: 27 times
Ya we have been through it several times even when it was a Bird factory and they were making organic shingles. It was also fun to visit the GAF factory in Millis,Ma but now they almost all but shut down since GAF bought ELK. The Sarnafil factory in Canton,ma is also pretty cool to see that stuff made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:47 pm 

Not a roofer, but I had reps out to give me quotes last spring. One roofer recommended GAF the other Certainteed. Both charged a little more for GAF.

My problem was the guy recommending Certainteed just told me I had Certainteed on my roof, that were part of a recall. Hard to sell a product, when the buyer has current problems with the products manufacture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:50 pm 

I think the quality is pretty equal from all manufactures. Here in Texas it really feels like CT has given up trying to sell. They are priced well above the rest and have really tied the hands of their sales reps. So I would have to pick the great satan GAf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:58 am 

nfllifer wrote:
Not a roofer, but I had reps out to give me quotes last spring. One roofer recommended GAF the other Certainteed. Both charged a little more for GAF.

My problem was the guy recommending Certainteed just told me I had Certainteed on my roof, that were part of a recall. Hard to sell a product, when the buyer has current problems with the products manufacture.

Never been a problem for me selling a Certainteed to roof to replace a defective Certainteed shingle. A little time educating the home owner goes a long way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:02 pm 

Post liked: 2 times
Liked posts: 6 times
It really depends on location as to what shingle you sell. In southeast Texas, you'll be hard pressed to find any selection of Certainteed shingles. Guardian doesn't stock any Certainteed products at all. Beacon supply has very limited supply and color selection. Much like Malarkey. I've never seen any supplier sell the product below the Dallas line. In southeast Texas, your competition will be selling GAF-Elk as the first option, then Tamko, with O/C bringing in the bottom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:41 am 

rooferama wrote:
It really depends on location as to what shingle you sell. In southeast Texas, you'll be hard pressed to find any selection of Certainteed shingles. Guardian doesn't stock any Certainteed products at all. Beacon supply has very limited supply and color selection. Much like Malarkey. I've never seen any supplier sell the product below the Dallas line. In southeast Texas, your competition will be selling GAF-Elk as the first option, then Tamko, with O/C bringing in the bottom.

Lots of Certainteed shingles to be had at the Minneapolis Minnesota Guardian. Only in recent years did they bring in Tamko. The only other large supplier in MN doesn't carry Tamko but carries OC.

Doesn't Enis Texas have a Certainteed plant?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:56 am 

Post liked: 4 times
Liked posts: 2 times
Both are good products.

Certainteed helps me promote there product and has many programs for contractors and there free. I recieve lots of support when needed.

Gaf/Elk All I know is I would have to PAY THEM THOUSANDS to promote their product and warranties.

Therefore I chose CertainTeed.

P.S. Both of them and every other manufacture could help us contractors determine an equal ground on pricing to help the whole industry. But I guess they are just keeping that whole coalition to themselves. I think they should offer more support, better programs, better pricing, more rebates to the contractors that are fair, honest, and sell their roofs at a fair price. When i say a fair price I mean fair for the laborers, to the foremans, to the owners, and the customers. lets start at about $350.00 a square for a single layer tear off, one story, no dormers, walkable, etc (easy as it gets). Then adjust accordingly from there. Everyone in this industry is underpaid except for the manufactures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:55 pm 

Are there any shingle manufacturers who will give you free of charge; advertising materials like business cards, door knob hangers or brochures in quantity without charging the contractor an arm and a leg for these promotional materials?

In the days of old-they even gave you free letterhead stationary and mailing envelopes but I guess that those days have all gone by the wayside. I really do not understand the rationale of a company charging contractors for materials that promote the manufacturers products. It is totally unbelievable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:33 pm 

I always sell certainteed products inless the customer asks, Certainteed is much nicer then GAF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:36 am 

GAF is a company who refuses to stand behind their product, I have been round and round with them on tons of warranty issues, and I have never laid shingle one of their product. They were always another company's work, usually done to spec, but the product failed. The end result was ALWAYS GAF blaming the contractor. I tore off a fifty year GAF last year, installed in CDX with stainless nails (hand driven), that blew off in 75mph winds, well within their "warranty" guarantees. GAF is garbage.