» Certainteed Landmark Vs. GAF Timberline HD

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Post subject: Certainteed Landmark Vs. GAF Timberline HD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:17 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
Folks - I am down to the wire here and need to pick one shingle. Its between the Certainteed Landmark in Moire Black and the GAF Timberline HD in Charcoal(formerly Timberline Pristique HD). I would like to get the thicker, heavier and nicer looking of the 2. There is a weight spec available for the CT and it 235 lb/sq, but no thickness available. No specs I can find for the GAF. Anyone have any specs on these.

Which is the better shingle to go with?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:05 pm 

Post liked: 117 times
Liked posts: 77 times
its preference, there both good shingles.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:11 pm 

Cant tell by looking at them, that is why I am looking for the spec. thickness, weight per sqaure...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:16 pm 

Post liked: 307 times
Liked posts: 269 times
BigKutta wrote:
Cant tell by looking at them, that is why I am looking for the spec. thickness, weight per sqaure...

A 30 yr Landmark is thicker than a 40 yr Timberline.
IMO a Landmark is far superior to a Timberline, an OC Duration is far superior to a Timberline also, IMO.

If it were my building I would prefer a Landmark > Duration > Tamko Heritage > something other than IKO > Timberline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:00 pm 

Liked posts: 27 times
The best laminate shingle on the market today as far as winter application, pliability,consistancy, etc etc... is the GAF Timberline. Certainteed is second best. The others are way behind. I have used them all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:20 pm 

RooferJ wrote:
The best laminate shingle on the market today as far as winter application, pliability,consistancy, etc etc... is the GAF Timberline. Certainteed is second best. The others are way behind. I have used them all.

Can you comment on the weight and thickness of the Landmark vs Timberline HD 30? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:07 pm 

Liked posts: 27 times
I could. But why ? that dosent really matter now does it ? We all remember the old sales pitch that organic shingles were heavier and thicker than fiberglass, and they were. They also fail in average 12 years. Try bending some shingles in cold weather, or better yet apply some. I think the weight is irrelevant as long as they lay down well and don't blow off. The main issue we have with Certainteed is exessive loose granules and some shading problems.

2 users likes this :
roofcheck (Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:10 pm), roofermann (Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:04 pm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:21 pm 

Post liked: 94 times
Liked posts: 108 times
Myself I am going with Certainteed on my house. It has absolutely nothing to do with the weight and/or thickness of the shingles. It has to do with the fact that I install these almost everyday, I have also installed the GAF Timberline. The amount of granules that come out of a GAF bundle wrapper is scary, where the CT have very little to no granule loss.

They both seal up very well.

I prefer CT (mountainridge) ridge cap over any cap GAF offers.

That and the nail strip on a CT Landmark is 4-5 times the size of GAFs chalk line nail line (less chance of improperly placed nails).

Most manufacturers (CT included) use a dark strip of granules along the top of the exposure line to give that shadow effect, whereas GAF puts a lighter strip of granules along the bottom of the exposed part. This to me looks ugly and stands out too much.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:01 pm 

bcdemon wrote:
Myself I am going with Certainteed on my house. It has absolutely nothing to do with the weight and/or thickness of the shingles. It has to do with the fact that I install these almost everyday, I have also installed the GAF Timberline. The amount of granules that come out of a GAF bundle wrapper is scary, where the CT have very little to no granule loss.

They both seal up very well.

I prefer CT (mountainridge) ridge cap over any cap GAF offers.

That and the nail strip on a CT Landmark is 4-5 times the size of GAFs chalk line nail line (less chance of improperly placed nails).

Most manufacturers (CT included) use a dark strip of granules along the top of the exposure line to give that shadow effect, whereas GAF puts a lighter strip of granules along the bottom of the exposed part. This to me looks ugly and stands out too much.

Is it worth going to the Landmark Premium over the Landmark? Would I be able to tell the difference? BOth are lifetime now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:19 am 

I vote CT shingles all day, but don't get so caught up on the weight or thickness. Those are not attributes that always define a good product. For instance, a BDL of IKO shingles (30 yr Arch) weighs more than a bdl of CT same product but is not the superior brand. They simply have a heavier slag mixture, while CT actually has the thicker mat base.

In reference to the difference in looks between CT Landmark and Landmark Premium in Moire Black, it will be pretty close in appearance 'from the curb'. The Premium may look a little more 'chunky' but the real difference doesn't come out until you go to Landmark TLs. Shadow lines are less pronounced in black than other colors, but you will have more dark tabs as opposed just shading. A good supply house will get you a bdl of both (30yrs should be in stock in most cases) for comparisions.
Best of Luck!

Anything worth doing right is only worth doing once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:25 am 

Post liked: 128 times
Liked posts: 33 times
-Axiom- wrote:
BigKutta wrote:

A 30 yr Landmark is thicker than a 40 yr Timberline.
IMO a Landmark is far superior to a Timberline, an OC Duration is far superior to a Timberline also, IMO.

If it were my building I would prefer a Landmark > Duration > Tamko Heritage > something other than IKO > Timberline.

We are observing the same thing and coming to the same conclusions. I haven't used an IKO, so i can't comment about that. Here, the oakridge shingle is so much nicer than the timberline also. I am thinking that the atlas and tamko is pretty neck and neck here. I wasnt too happy wih my last 2 heritage batches. Both times, different colors, the nails did not sink into the shingle the way they beautifully sink into a landmark. the nails seemed to bust away the face of the shingle instead of sinking nicely into it. both jobs , i dont think it reached 60 degrees.
I might try them again now that it is getting warmer.And i am slightly upset with atlas since i have to continually watch out for mixed batch numbers and their black pinnacle is too dull.. other than that , i love the pinnacle!!Pinnacle also feels like quality when you are nailing into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:46 am 

Post liked: 94 times
Liked posts: 108 times
BigKutta wrote:
Is it worth going to the Landmark Premium over the Landmark? Would I be able to tell the difference? BOth are lifetime now

Anytime you can afford to get the better shingle, go for it. As far as telling the difference, the Premium is a thicker shingle so it may give a bit more shadow effect.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:04 am 

You might want to look at the warranties offered by these two brands. Certainteeds warranty for defects is only 10 years at 100% coverage, it then prorates drastically. Where as GAF's warranty is 50 years of non pro rated coverage against defects. GAF also has the Golden Pledge warranty which offers 25 years of factory backed coverage on the contractors workmanship. This warranty covers all, including improper installation and flashing problems. So another words you will not be denied coverage if the roofer was not precise with the nail line. The only catch is the contractor must be Master Elite for the property owner to take advantage of this. GAF only charges 12 bucks a sq. for this warranty and it comes with an inspection by a GAF field representative. Definitely the best warranty available. View my website for a direct link to GAF's warranty page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:23 am 

Liked posts: 10 times
I agree, the amount of granules that GAF Timberlines lose even before they are taken out of the package blows my mind..I would definitely go with the Certainteed, although in my opinion OC Oakridge are just as good as any, but in your case this doesnt apply...If you only learn one thing from this forum it should be this: Any shingles that ends in ..ko (tamko or iko) is nothing but pure trash...I wouldnt roof Bin Laden's house with either of these brands...this is how bad they are...anyone on here that says these brands are good havent laid a whole lot of shingles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:37 pm 

JCarnes wrote:
You might want to look at the warranties offered by these two brands. Certainteeds warranty for defects is only 10 years at 100% coverage, it then prorates drastically. Where as GAF's warranty is 50 years of non pro rated coverage against defects. GAF also has the Golden Pledge warranty which offers 25 years of factory backed coverage on the contractors workmanship. This warranty covers all, including improper installation and flashing problems. So another words you will not be denied coverage if the roofer was not precise with the nail line. The only catch is the contractor must be Master Elite for the property owner to take advantage of this. GAF only charges 12 bucks a sq. for this warranty and it comes with an inspection by a GAF field representative. Definitely the best warranty available. View my website for a direct link to GAF's warranty page.

Gotta do more research before you ou try to kill another warranty. Here's one huge difference, GAF still uses Lot #'s on product, when your local supply house doesn't give you all the same # and there's a color difference, that warranty doesn't do jack. CT has no lot #'s and warranties color. Everything is else is pretty equal. Thier SureStartPlus warranty is just as strong and sure as heck isn't $12 bucks a square, somebody's making a good profit on that...

Anything worth doing right is only worth doing once.