» Button Caps?

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page Previous  1, 2
  Post subject: Re: Button Caps?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:59 pm 

Post liked: 117 times
Liked posts: 77 times
Roofmaster417 wrote:
kage wrote:
Roofmaster417 wrote:
.Experienced roofers are probably more into banging than the inexperienced ones who are not good at banging and settle with slapping it.

I slap and i thought i was experienced... :? ..i guess i need more then 31yrs..i use to bang but slapping is just easier...for me...just sayin :P .

Man I was no way talking about felt application. :twisted: :twisted: :badgrin: :badgrin:

HaHa ok ya got me,..I prefer BANGIN then...damn..that flew right over.. :lol:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:09 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 2 times
I have had hitachi, stinger staplers (air stapler & the slapper ) but the best one i have found is a crossfire stapler the caps & staples come in same box they cost $39.99 there is 7/8 " and 1 1/4 " the gun holds up better than the stinger and the staples are a larger gauge also.
You should be able to order the gun from Abc Supply.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:46 pm 

Post liked: 50 times
Liked posts: 62 times
Have the Hitachi and the Bostitch pneumatics. The Hitachi with the nails and caps is temperamental. I have much better luck with the Bostitch cap stapler and the caps aren't so thin they rip right off. Not sure whats the better price between the two methods. I only cap synthetics. If we use felt I'll put that on with a pneumatic dou-fast stapler. Very fast. I'm not sure why you guys cap nail your felt anyway as most claim to never leave a felted roof overnight . :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:26 pm 

Post liked: 2 times
Liked posts: 1 time
SENCO house wrap stapler. $17.99 box does 20 sq and PROVEN to hold better than caps on golfcorse winds. (the crown is wide and thick.) sure you have to replace the feeder spring once and a while. (I have been known to use butten caps STINGER STYLE) I sold my Hitachi cap nailer after a couple jobs. It would feed the caps with no staples.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:44 pm 

Post liked: 124 times
Liked posts: 64 times
selfemployedslave wrote:
I'm not sure why you guys cap nail your felt anyway as most claim to never leave a felted roof overnight . :)

because a bucket of button cap nails, and a magnetic hammer NEVER fail. Staplers fail. all of them are junk IMO.

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:10 am 

Liked posts: 10 times
who sells the magnetic hammers now? I got one but I would like to get some for my guys and I havent been able to find them

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:59 pm 

Liked posts: 27 times
buttons "plastic cap nails" are the way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:11 pm 

Post liked: 124 times
Liked posts: 64 times
Max Baxter Roofing wrote:
who sells the magnetic hammers now? I got one but I would like to get some for my guys and I havent been able to find them

Bradco here sells them (now owned by ABC) so im sure ABC does too... I just dont like dealing with the "salesmen" at ABC.

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:28 pm 

Post liked: 334 times
Liked posts: 366 times
selfemployedslave wrote:
I'm not sure why you guys cap nail your felt anyway as most claim to never leave a felted roof overnight . :)

Busting caps on your felt is another way of preventive maintenance.In the event the roof suffers some wind damage ,the felt has a better chance of not being carried away with the shingles,also greatly reducing the chance of sustaining severe interior damage.Yes the felt will have holes from the shingle application but imagine the result of bare wood.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:09 am 

Liked posts: 10 times
good post roofmaster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:22 am 

Post liked: 50 times
Liked posts: 62 times
Roofmaster417 wrote:
selfemployedslave wrote:

Busting caps on your felt is another way of preventive maintenance.In the event the roof suffers some wind damage ,the felt has a better chance of not being carried away with the shingles,also greatly reducing the chance of sustaining severe interior damage.Yes the felt will have holes from the shingle application but imagine the result of bare wood.

Well my competition must do a better job of stapling his felt then he does nailing his shingles. I see a job he did on my way to town that's had shingles off for over a year now :shock: and the felts still holding on.

I never have felt blow off when stapled as long as its a good grade of felt. I figure one box (5000) per 10 square. I've dried in many new constructions that sat till we got there with no lost felt. But to each his own.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:20 pm 

Post liked: 117 times
Liked posts: 77 times
selfemployedslave wrote:
Roofmaster417 wrote:
selfemployedslave wrote:

Well my competition must do a better job of stapling his felt then he does nailing his shingles. I see a job he did on my way to town that's had shingles off for over a year now :shock: and the felts still holding on.

I never have felt blow off when stapled as long as its a good grade of felt. I figure one box (5000) per 10 square. I've dried in many new constructions that sat till we got there with no lost felt. But to each his own.

Ditto.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:29 am 

Liked posts: 2 times
with the hitachi button cap gun, i can have a 30 square house felted in less than 15 mins...are the slappers you guys are referring to also called stingers?