» BP brand shingles

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Post subject: BP brand shingles
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:29 pm 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
I just received a quote to reroof my home in michigan using bp canada shingles. Online reviews show a lot of dissatisfied customers. Any body recommend this brand of shingle? I was told they have a 40 year warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:01 pm 

Post liked: 12 times
Liked posts: 13 times
Im from Michigan also I would go with Certainteed. I have tested them against wind at higher rated and they withstood more than they were supposed to. A landmark 30 is a very good shingle. BP Shingle i do not care for never used them but had them torn off due to issues with the shingles. The GAF is also a good shingle but i have only sold Certainteed since it is something i could stand behind and trust. They are not sold at home depot or lowes. So in my opinion Certainteed is a professionals shingle not a sell out. Hope this helps.

More than willing to help anyone that needs help. IF you want to E-mail me monsterroofing@comcast.net and i will get back with you or you can email me at helpforroofing@comcast.net@comcast.net. be more than helping anyone that need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:46 pm 

Liked posts: 27 times
We were using BP last year on some jobs. I think they stoped making the organic ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:49 pm 

Liked posts: 2 times
They are the worst shingle IMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:37 am 

There Everest fiberglass base laminates seemed OK. It was about 10 dollars per square cheeper than GAF and Certainteed :? can you say "colusion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:44 am 

Post liked: 117 times
Liked posts: 77 times
crap up here in BC

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:38 am 

Post liked: 12 times
Liked posts: 13 times
They dont sell the everlast up here J Just IKO GAF and Certainteed, BP if your up for it. Me Certainteed.

More than willing to help anyone that needs help. IF you want to E-mail me monsterroofing@comcast.net and i will get back with you or you can email me at helpforroofing@comcast.net@comcast.net. be more than helping anyone that need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:09 pm 

Most of our shingle jobs are GAF. somtimes I will use the other ones. I have tried them all one time or another. I dont like how they have spiked there prices .

Post subject: bp organic shingle info
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:50 pm 

Is anyone making the organic shingle anymore? I have the BP organic from 2000 which are crumbling and BP is fighting me...i'm preparing for a deposition with them (taking a break!) so any information would be helpful. Depostion is in Sept and court date in Oct. yikes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:18 pm 

Let us know how you make out with them. remember there is strenth in numbers. I was told they no longer make organic, it is a thing of the past.

Post subject: Re: BP brand shingles
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:04 am 

Post liked: 5 times
Liked posts: 4 times
cgray12178 wrote:
I just received a quote to reroof my home in michigan using bp canada shingles. Online reviews show a lot of dissatisfied customers. Any body recommend this brand of shingle? I was told they have a 40 year warranty.

Cannot, should not and will not recommend these BP shingles

johne5

Get it right, get it Bang-On!!
www.bangonroofing.com

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:08 pm 

Post liked: 96 times
Liked posts: 109 times
I consider BP (and IKO) to be a DIY Special, only because very few professionals I know would install them.

If and when you beat them, replace with Certainteed or GAF.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:30 pm 

I agree with gtp1003 just use Certainteed

Post subject: BP Shingles - We will never buy them again
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:36 pm 

Buyer Beware!! Our bad experience with BP Canada:

My father purchased BP Canada shingles with a 25 year warranty. He lives in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. This is the letter we sent to them in May 2010 to which we have had no reply:

"New shingles were installed on my father's roof by B&B Siding & Roofing Ltd on July 30, 1999. For the past two years, my father has been dealing with B&B regarding his defective shingles (pictures were attached showing the shingles clawing and deteriorating). After frequent requests, a visit was made by representatives from your company, one of them being (name removed). My father was told that a sample would be taken and sent to your laboratory and he would be advised of the results. December 8, 2009 a letter was sent indicating the lab results showed that no deficiencies were found. As there was a slight language barrier, I have now taken over dealing with this issue. On May 11, 2010, I contacted BP at the 1-800 number provided on the card requesting to speak with (name removed) and was told that he was unavailable. I was also told that if I provide the file number, the person on the other end of the phone would try to assist as best as possible. Upon providing the file number, he advised that the file indicated a sample was supposed to be taken and sent to the lab, but wasn't, and that a message would be relayed to (name removed) to address this matter and to return my call. This information completely contradicts the December 8th letter. This is very unprofessional to say the least. To date, I have not as yet received a return call. Regardless, as you can see from the pictures, these shingles would not be acceptable by anybody's standards.

Please accept this letter as a demand to have these shingles replaced and installed at today's market value. If not resolved by June 30, 2010, legal action will commence."

We never received any response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:09 pm 

Liked posts: 1 time
IKO and BP sold organic shingles much longer than Certainteed and GAF and many other manufacturers which probably was not a good idea. IKO and BP Fiberglass products are as good as any of the other manufacturers products. The fact that they are Canadian may have something to do with some people not liking them.

Certainteed and GAF have had some really bad warranty issues in the past as well. I am not saying they are bad. I actually prefer certainted shingles.

If you look hard enough on the internet you will find class action suits against all of the manufacturers. If BP and IKO had stopped making the organic earlier they would have saved themselves a lot of problems. We use IKO fiberglass products and have not had any problems in the 7 or 8 years we have used them.