» Anybody buying shingles at Lowe's??????

Post subject: Anybody buying shingles at Lowe's??????
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:55 am 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 6 times
They have a special right now for their gift cards that if you buy one up to $4,000 before March 14? then they will give you 10% more on March 18.

I told my guy at Lowe's that sounds good but it is only $400. He then informed me that you can buy as many as you want as long as they are no more than $4k each!!!!

I can still use my contractor pricing when I purchase with the gift card. My purchases are also eligible for the manufacturer's rewards program as well. Now are you feeling it........

Might be a real good deal if you use a lot of O/C shingles.

Matthew 7:12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:45 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 10 times
Yeah I got the same promotion today...I was the number 1 commercial buyer at the Lowes in my area for 8 years straight until about 3 months ago when they stopped selling OC and went to Certainteed and the price went up...but with this new promotion they got Im gonna buy all of the remaining OC Oakridge 2 shingles they got left (about 2000 squares) and get them for $19.35 per bundle after taxes..pretty sweet deal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:33 pm 

Liked posts: 6 times
Real sweet. They still only sell OC here.

Matthew 7:12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:02 pm 

Liked posts: 13 times
My brother is a manager at a Lowe's and can get a nice discount as a result but I don't care for OC shingles.

The Durations allow the nails to rust due to the constant tar line.

The Oakridge shingles will crack by 8 years.

In the past 3 years have done 4 roofs with either the Oakridge or Duration and although they all laid out nice and straight they were a few shingles mixed in that were not the same color as the rest.

None the less, it's a good deal they got at Lowes right now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:39 pm 

Liked posts: 0 time
I hope our Lowes, goes to CertainTeed! I sometimes buy from Home Depot GAF products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:23 pm 

Liked posts: 27 times
I will never get my materials from either HD or Lowes no matter what. They are trying the installed roofing crap, just like Sears. They are also not set up to deal with a real contractor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:25 pm 

I have to agree with RooferJ. It's like the carpet thing all over again. They sell carpet and the install for cheap, but 3 months after the warranty is no good, the carpet comes unstretched and is just nasty looking. I imaging the same thing will start happening with roofers. You get what you pay for!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:26 am 

:) What the hell kind of nails are you using that they are rusting? All i use is oc and never had that problem.Sears is out of there mind they just bid a two story walker ceder shake two asphalt tare off resheet 15 sq for 15000.00 Lowes still has oc out here to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:29 am 

yeah Ive never seen a nail rust due to a tar line, and any shingle will crack if not ventilated properly... for some reason about 2 months ago all the Lowes stores in NC, SC and Georgia have all switched to Certainteed..and although Certainteed makes a great shingle,it sucks because I am a big pusher of OC shingles and have been for almost 10 years now and Ive developed sales strategies using OC shingles...and anyone who would let Lowes or HD do their roof is very uneducated, these stores definitely use the cheapest roofers they can find

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:15 pm 

Liked posts: 13 times
Do a google search on rusty nails with OC laminate shingles, you'll find some.

Seen a half dozen or so reports in the past couple years and finaly saw it first hand. Couldn't get a name on the coil nails but they look a lot like what I've been using over the past 6-7 years.

Drop a coil of nails in water and it will rust. Not right away but it will rust. The only nails that won't rust with constant contact with water would be copper or stainless steel.

That's odd that Certainteed would allow a big box store to sell there shingles. In print Certainteed there shingles are builder and professional grade and not sold in big box stores as a result.

I know Menards sells Certainteed siding but although it can order in Certainteed shingles they are not stocked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:23 pm 

Neither Lowes or Home Depot is set up to service professional roofing contractors. It's is always a hassle getting the materials from the shelf to your truck. Professional roofers should be purchasing from companies like ABC, Alside, Bradco or Harveys to name a few. If your doing volume, these companies will generally give you price breaks much lower than what the box stores have to offer. They also deliver for free or they load your truck for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:05 pm 

Liked posts: 27 times
the electroplated galvanized nails rust out premature because of the glue strip with OC shingles traps moisture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:23 am 

you would think that ABC, Bradco, etc... would be able to beat Lowes prices but down here they couldnt touch Lowe's price on Owens Corning for years and years...I get a pretty good price because I usually buy shingles 2-3 full truckloads at a time and I store them in a warehouse and Lowes comes to my warehouse once a week to deliver all of my jobs for that week,, I never buy directly from the Lowes shelf because due to the fact that they will take any returns and lot numbers can get mixed up when these returns are put back on the shelf..since Lowes started selling Certainteed their price has jumped from $22 per bundle on OC to $24.50 per bundle on Certainteed...Im now buying OC Oakridge 2 for $21 per bundle (delivered) from Best Distributors in Charlotte

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:40 am 

8) hay max do you always buy the oakridge ?I use the Duration and up here in ny there(oakridge) 28.00 per bundle at lowes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:31 am 

I use Oakridge probly 95% of the time, the only reasons Ive ever pushed Durations is to homeowners with mansour roofs or unless the homeowner has done research and actually knows the difference between oakridge and duration and wants the duration...Ive had bad experiences with oakridge on mansour roofs sliding out over time even after 6 nailing them on the nail line...now whenever we do a mansour we 6 nail durations and I make my guys handnail them to ensure the nails arent over- driven and this has helped greatly...Amazingly I can get Durations for $67 per square now from several suppliers..I may start using them more and using them as a sales pitch to homeowners over my competitors who are still using the oakridges