» 30yr vs 40yr vs 50yr/lifetime Arch shingles

Post new topic Reply to topic               Roofing/Construction Questions Go to page 1, 2  Next
  Post subject: 30yr vs 40yr vs 50yr/lifetime Arch shingles
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:26 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 0 time
First post and after many searches and reading, thought I would just ask out right. I have an on going insurance claim that has delayed my roof but have gotten curious about the actual differences between the different grades... the 3 brands I am looking toward are CertainTeed Landmark series ( Landmark 30, Plus, and Premium ), OC Duration ( Duration 30 versus Lifetime ), and Gaf/Elk Prestique Hi Def ( 30, 40, 50 ).

Pricing seems to be interesting, and it seems to me that going to a 40 yr from a 30 yr is almost not worth it ( staying within a given line ). Any truth to this?

I ask because there is a big price increase going from 30 to 40, but a smaller increase going from 40 to 50, making the decision seemingly to be 30 or 50. Unfortunately during this process I have learned enough to know too much and yet at same time, know nothing at all.

Goal is to be in this home no more than 15 more years BUT one cannot always count on goals. I'm 47, and really want to avoid another roof. A little out of pocket for a new roof is okay IF the better shingles translate to truly longer lasting. At the same time I can probably get a Certainteed 30 Landmark system with full 10 yr labor and shingle warranty for no money out of pocket. The 50 yr Landmark would be slightly over $1000 out of pocket. 3 more quotes coming on Monday and I hope to resolve the skinny insurance quote soon.

Thanks in advance, and this was not meant to compare a GAF 40 to an OC 30, and so on but rather to stay within each line ( is the Certainteed 40 worth $900 out of pocket versus the 30, when I can get the Certain Teed 50 for only $450 or so more than the 40 ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:50 am 

Lifetime shingles have not really stood the test of time. 30 yrs are best bet. I think the only shingle on the market that may last 50 years is certainteed grand manor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:11 am 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 13 times
50 and even 40 year shingles become hard to repair by year 10.

IMO it's not worth the price of a 40 year laminate shingle when you consider you don't get that much more weight and curb appeal over a 30 year laminate shingle.

I like the Premium line as you can really see the difference from ground level when compared to the 40 year. The TL is also a very nice shingle.

If you opt for the Premium line make sure your contractor either uses Mountain Ridge or they double up the Accessory ridge caps. Also try to find a Sellect company with Certainteed as they can offer much better warranties on both Sure Start and wind warranties. $2 per square for 3 Star, $3 per square for 4 Star, and $9 per square for 5 Star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:32 am 

Post liked: 2 times
Liked posts: 6 times
Having cut a few valleys in my time, it seems that the LM Plus is a stronger, tougher shingle than the LM

www.amarcoroofing.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:12 am 

I would not even look at the 40 year shingles. If you are not going with the 30 year, look at the 50 year or the lifetime shingles. Also why dont you check into the impact resistant shingles. If you are going to spend the extra money for the 50 year shingles, the impact resistant might save you $ in the long run. State Farm offers a 20% discount for people who have the IR shingles. Call your local agent and see if you can save any money on your homeowners insurance then see if its worth it. "Oh and impact resistant shingles are not actually impact resistant" LOL Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:22 pm 

Post liked: 12 times
Certainteed has several 50 year and lifetime shingles, right now i just woke up so i cant rememeber all of them. go to www.certainteed.com and look at each shingle to see what suits your need. I sell the stuff but like i said im not even up to rememeber everything. when i have a customer as yourself what i would say is if your going to only stay in the home for a max of 15 years just go with a 30 year landmark line shingle. if you are trying to upgrade the shingle to add value to the home your investment over 1000 you will not see back past 1k. I like the certainteed shingle far better than the OC.

More than willing to help anyone that needs help. IF you want to E-mail me monsterroofing@comcast.net and i will get back with you or you can email me at helpforroofing@comcast.net@comcast.net. be more than helping anyone that need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:33 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
I did a large detached garage a couple years ago with Certainteed Landmark Plus Weathered Wood and then the next year did the house with Landmark 30 Weathered Wood. What I can honeslty tell you is there is no way to tell the two shingles apart.

Technicaly the Landmark Premkium is a lifetime shingle. With this shingle if you get a certified CT contractor the four star warranty will up the Sure start from 10 years to 50 years.

I really don't think going from a 30 to a 50 year laminate shingle is going to up the house value a lot. As a matter of fact a few weeks ago was picking out shingles with a home owner and my lead guy one of the most respected and biggest realtors in the state was there to help. The customer was the father in law of the realtor. I asked him if putting up a 50 year shingle will boost the home value and he said not really.

All the buyer needs to know and wants to know is if the roof is under 8 years of age and of course don't leak.

I put Landmark 30's on my rental property when I lived in it. Wanted to put on TL's but my wife didn't like any of the colors enough. The new house is only 5 years old with Timerline 30's (didn't roof it) and may go with Premiums when the times comes for a new roof. Again with grayish blue siding the best fit would be the Landmark Premium Georgetwon Gray. TL doesn't have a shingle with blue in it. Already had blow offs and the shingle is of coure discontinued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:27 pm 

Liked posts: 1 time
Got 3 estimates? Getting more?

Why not just keep getting them until you find some fool that will pay for your upgrade and your deductible?

He's out there, I promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:10 pm 

Post liked: 12 times
Outlaw thats illgeal all the way around it. I personally think 3 to 4 bids are all that are needed. getting a ton of bid will first confuse the homeowner second all it will do is piss off alot of contractors. i ask have you had a professional look at the task at hand and they tell me either i called 3 or 4 or even 5 companies. if they tell me they are shopping price i tell them well im not your guy, thank you for thinking of us and have a great day!

If he gets a bunch of bids he will have a hell of a time compairing apples ot apples beside confusing him even more like i said before.

DO NOT have someone pay your deductable it illegal and if the insurance company catches on or hears about it, they will cancel the homeowners policy or raise the price to an astronomical number that we find another insurance company and there are record on that stuff up to 5 years. he will screw himslef. I dont instruct my customers that way at all. I do things by the book

More than willing to help anyone that needs help. IF you want to E-mail me monsterroofing@comcast.net and i will get back with you or you can email me at helpforroofing@comcast.net@comcast.net. be more than helping anyone that need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:16 pm 

THE OUTLAW ROOFER wrote:
Got 3 estimates? Getting more?

Why not just keep getting them until you find some fool that will pay for your upgrade and your deductible?

He's out there, I promise.

Thanks :) Already found the fools though and trying to avoid any more. As much as I like good pricing i guess in my older age I prefer honest pricing with quality installation. I'm not really happy with my insurance company as well as they have meausred a very skinny quote, probably at least 5 to 6 squares too short and maybe 8-9 squares short dpending upon whose estimates i believe.

So, price is not really what is driving the project though it does, of course, factor in. While one does get what they pay for often enough, one can also pay too much :)

Of the 3 quotes thus far, only 1 might get the contract but time will tell there.. he was good with email but has gone quiet since. I'll call him back Monday and see if he's still interested. Sooo much hail damage around here the contractors are having trouble keeping up. That ole supply and demand thing.

2 more quotes coming on Monday.. worst thing is not everyone here seems to want to provide any written quote and the last guys did not even ge ton the roof to measure. Am sure i'll find the right one..just takes a little time and luck! And please no fools lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:21 pm 

Thx.. i'm actually not shopping price now as much as i'm shopping for a contractor that basically I trust. 2 of the 3 I've gotten quotes from I have already eliminated due to how they described the job. Price wise they were fine but I felt they were lacking in areas i wasn't confortable with. The third one will probably work out after I see a house he has done, assuming we can come to terms. And, assuming he still wants the job! Just want it done right and hopefully without damaged plants like me neighbor got into, and sloppy work such as leaving shingles on the roof after the job was complete, wavy flashing, etc.

gtp1003 wrote:
Outlaw thats illgeal all the way around it. I personally think 3 to 4 bids are all that are needed. getting a ton of bid will first confuse the homeowner second all it will do is piss off alot of contractors. i ask have you had a professional look at the task at hand and they tell me either i called 3 or 4 or even 5 companies. if they tell me they are shopping price i tell them well im not your guy, thank you for thinking of us and have a great day!

If he gets a bunch of bids he will have a hell of a time compairing apples ot apples beside confusing him even more like i said before.

DO NOT have someone pay your deductable it illegal and if the insurance company catches on or hears about it, they will cancel the homeowners policy or raise the price to an astronomical number that we find another insurance company and there are record on that stuff up to 5 years. he will screw himslef. I dont instruct my customers that way at all. I do things by the book
now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:23 pm 

Post liked: 25 times
Liked posts: 63 times
Jdavis, where is it you are located? Perhaps there is a contractor on this website near your area who will be able to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:25 pm 

Thx.. appreciate the information. My gut feel based upon specs regarding shingle weight suggested the 30 and 40 yr shingles were not greatly different given the large increase in price. If we upgrade from 30, it will no doubt be to a lifetime/50 yr shingle. Now THAT will depend upon price :)

The 1 quote I have verbally received thus far ( the ole it is not yet in writing so take it for what it is worth thing ) was from a Certainteed installer that does give the 10 yr labor and shingle warranty with the 30 yr Landmark. I have yet to hear back from him regarding the cost for the Premium shingle.

dougger222 wrote:
50 and even 40 year shingles become hard to repair by year 10.

IMO it's not worth the price of a 40 year laminate shingle when you consider you don't get that much more weight and curb appeal over a 30 year laminate shingle.

I like the Premium line as you can really see the difference from ground level when compared to the 40 year. The TL is also a very nice shingle.

If you opt for the Premium line make sure your contractor either uses Mountain Ridge or they double up the Accessory ridge caps. Also try to find a Sellect company with Certainteed as they can offer much better warranties on both Sure Start and wind warranties. $2 per square for 3 Star, $3 per square for 4 Star, and $9 per square for 5 Star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:26 pm 

Post liked: 2 times
Liked posts: 6 times
Where you at Davis?

I got to agree w/ dougger, most premium asphalt shingles will not increase the house value.
Grand Manor perhaps. A 50-yr lam? No
What they really want to see is a roof in decent shape.

www.amarcoroofing.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:26 pm 

BAMBAMM5144 wrote:
Jdavis, where is it you are located? Perhaps there is a contractor on this website near your area who will be able to help.

oops.. I failed to complete my profile yesterday! I'm located a few miles north of Charlotte, NC! I'll do my profle here in a second! Thx for the suggestion!