» 2 Layer tear off?

Post subject: 2 Layer tear off?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:42 am 

Post liked: 0 time
Liked posts: 1 time
We are starting to see a steady stream of business come in. As this is our first full year in business for ourselves we're still learning lots of new things. One thing I ran into this week is a 2 layer tear off. How do you guys price this? Double your normal tear off fee? Add "X" amount of dollars to your standard fee? Any input would greatly appreciated. Thanks, Walt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:57 am 

Liked posts: 0 time
First things first.... extra layers mean bigger dumps. Depending on the condition/age of the roof will depend on how much extra time it will take to remove. Also depending on the age/condition there may be some bad wood under there, which can get costly.

IMHO second and third layers are on a sliding scale based on the factors above.

I have been on some two layer roofs that I didn't have to pick up a tear off shovel to remove and they were gone in a few hours, then I have been on two layers that left my elbows covered in ben-gay at the end of the work day knowing I had to go back for more tomorrow.

Not sure if you pay your labor by the hour or by the square, but if your paying by the hour sharpen your pencil. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:07 am 

Post liked: 50 times
Liked posts: 62 times
I price per layer and figure disposal cost in with price. Walkable, easy access $55 for 1, $110. for 2 and so on.
Did you discovered two layers while bidding or doing the job?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:05 am 

Post liked: 12 times
Liked posts: 13 times
If you noticed the 2 layers in the middle of the tear off you lost money. Really the time of tearing off 2 layers vs 1 is not much. Its the dump that will get you. Like SYS said the condition will set the price.

More than willing to help anyone that needs help. IF you want to E-mail me monsterroofing@comcast.net and i will get back with you or you can email me at helpforroofing@comcast.net@comcast.net. be more than helping anyone that need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:04 pm 

Liked posts: 1 time
I discovered it during inspection. I doubled my tear off fee and was concerned that I overpriced the job. I think that I priced it right after reading your responses. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:45 pm 

Post liked: 1 time
Liked posts: 13 times
Done some two layer tear offs that came off ok but most come off tough.

Insurance prices layer number one at around $50 a square to tear off and layer number two at around $25 a square to tear off.

Adjusters have told me that since your tearing off one layer what's so tough about a second layer? Well, first of all two is always more than one. Consider a one layer tear off would have on average 8 nails per shingle total. Now consider with a layer on top the first layer now has 16 or more nails holding it down.

Only got caught once with an additional layer not knowing about it. Charged the insurance company to tear off a layer of asphalt and cedar shingles and re-deck. What I didn't know was that there was a second layer of cedar shingles on the roof! Called the adjuster and had to ask for another $1,500 or $100 per square. He said they shouldn't have to pay since they should all come off at once. After telling him the fastest way to tear off was one layer at a time he decided to pay up. Ended up being another full dump trailer of debris. Luckily the home owner let use his skid steer to clean up the debris and load the roof with shingles.

BTW, hi Ericka!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:48 pm 

Around here I get enough business that I try and avoid two ply jobs, because our climate goes from -40 c to +40c the bottom ply is always baked out and comes off in pieces the size of quarters. If I do have to have to take a two ply job I double my dump fee, strip fee, and add an extra 30 dollars a square (that way if I do get the job Im making a very decent profit and then I dont mind taking it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:27 pm 

Post liked: 124 times
Liked posts: 64 times
around here, $20-30 extra per layer is standard for sales.

the crews charge me an extra $10/sq for the labor and dump fees.

i charge $30/sq cash deals

insurance pays $38/sq

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:45 pm 

Post liked: 126 times
Liked posts: 30 times
gtp1003 wrote:
If you noticed the 2 layers in the middle of the tear off you lost money.

true.

Quote:
Really the time of tearing off 2 layers vs 1 is not much.
roofing much?

I can tear off three seperate houses faster than i can tear off one house with two shingle roofs on it.

The cost of the dump is at least 10 dollars a sq.
At least another 20 dollars for the labor.
Another 10 dollars for the extra workmans comp and general liability.

That brings us to 40 dollars a sq extra and we havent even discussed overhead and profit.
You add between 10 to 20 dollars a sq.

That brings you between 50 and 60 dollars a sq extra and that is slave labor price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:08 pm 

what is under the 2 sq? if it is tar paper that is a +.(no tar or shingle stuck to the decking) and what is under that? if it is 1x6 it will take longer then plywood.(ripper gets stuck on all the seems. and is harder to pull the nails out of)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:50 pm 

I hate ripping 1x6 roofs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:08 pm 

Liked posts: 9 times
99% of all the houses in upstate NY are 2 layers or 2 layers on top of cedar. you need to always look inside to see what kind of decking there is. always pull up the drip and see if there is a hidden layer. Never take a home owners word for # of layers or square footage.

2 layers on 3/4 tongue & groove take 3 times as long as 2 layers on plywood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:20 pm 

I just about got 1 done now.....1 layer walker for the most part, worst one of my life!
1 layer Heritage 30s, 2 layers rotten sheets,wet r 30 insulation,rotten 2x10 rafters.....
Replaced with 2x12 rafters, new sheets and Gaf/Elk in barkwood....only 15 sq, and the lady had the shingles....9500.00 and I FEEEEEEEEEL like I under bid it,LOL!...
I would have preffered a 3 layer over that....

Profile Personal album